Does VCDS bricked my DELL ???

automech

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14925
Today I was doing usual stuff with my VCDS on DELL Latitude D610 and when I unplug the USB I got blue screen. After restart Windows started to recover. (I don't know exactly what, I just left it on desk). Computer restarted itself and after Windows loading bar i got only black screen and cursor. It stays like that every time.
I took my HP Compaq nx6110 and same thing happened, unplug VCDS=blue screen. Luckly the HP stayed alive after recover.
I checked USB ports in cable and laptops they are good.
BTW. After HP recovered second time, VCDS works fine but I don't feel confident with it, and I got brick on desk now. [*] DELL Latitude D610 20??-2015 [*]

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Blue screen would be a driver problem. But brick? I don't see how.

Also, how long have you been using VCDS? Our records show close to 10 years (about the age of a Latitude 610).

What else do you have installed on these machines? I would guess there's some kind of conflict with something else. The question is what?

-Uwe-

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
What OS is your Dell running on?

Either way, if you're seeing the Windows loading bar before it then seemingly hangs, nothing is bricked and it's most likely a driver issue as already mentioned (maybe the graphics card driver if you're just seeing a black screen).

Boot up the laptop and between the BIOS having loaded and Windows starting to load, keep stabbing at the F8 key and you should see a boot menu similar to that shown below. First I suggest you try the "Last Known Good Configuration" option (or whatever that is in Polish if you have a Polish version of Windows). If that doesn't work then reboot again and get back the boot menu by pressing F8 as before but this time choose "Safe Mode" which will load Windows without any drivers. If Windows then loads fine, this will confirm the problem as being a driver issue which you can then deal with accordingly now that you're running Windows in Safe Mode.

windows-vista-safe-mode.gif

automech

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14925
@Uwe I'm using VCDS since 2006, and i got nothing special installed on both laptops. They were working good for years until yesterday.

@GaryM Tried last known good config. i got message lssas.exe Application were not iniciated properly. Same thing in safe mode. System is XP proffesional SP3

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
That program is part of the Windows security subsystem. You've most likely got some hard disk file corruption to the security susbsystem program files of the security subsystem config files (not surprising if the hard disk is potentially 10 years old).

Your best option will be to run a repair install of Windows XP using the original installation CD. You just need to be careful to choose the repair option and not a fresh install otherwise it will will wipe your hard drive and you will lose any programs and personal files you have on it. It's only when you face a situation like this that you realise how important it is to take regular imaging backups of your hard drive. If you are already doing that then you can just restore from a previous backup image but I suspect you probably don't have any.

automech

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14925
Thanks Gary, I'll try and report.

Uwe, is there any chance that after many years of using one VCDS the USB port in cable can make some troubles with drivers??

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Uwe, is there any chance that after many years of using one VCDS the USB port in cable can make some troubles with drivers??
The only thing I can think of as a possibility is a physical problem such as an internal short in the USB cable.

-Uwe-

Back