Sticky Windows 11

Antonyr123

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227908
There is absolutely no issue using Windows 11 with any cable we've sold since the beginning of 2017.

Since you're using VCDS-Lite with a third-party cable, if there's a problem with drivers compatibility, that's on your cable supplier. ;)

-Uwe-
My Cable is from Official Supplier (Mike) All That could be used on my Audi Quattro. International shipping, Customs and Duty is a nightmare. (what's new there)

I was referring to the progress of older cables vs newer hardware. I like seeing Old thing's work, Wasn't referring to anything currently forsale :)

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
After much faffing, I've figured out what is interfering with VCDS finding HEX-V2 interfaces on my laptop.

I had the bright idea of seeing if another process was using high CPU when VCDS was timing out, and hey presto!:

taskmanager.png

The culprit appears to be
"Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Host Process", so a legitimate Windows process.
With that end-tasked, VCDS finds the interface OK.

Not sure if that points to something RT can change, or whether it's still an issue my end...

• Informative
Reactions: Uwe

Antonyr123

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227908
WDF as always been a little funky. From issues with touchscreen laptops and Wireless adaptors from Lenovo

Even things like Logitech Gaming series Mouse's disconnecting.

Derek

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56983
@Mike@Gendan
"Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Host Process", so a legitimate Windows process.
With that end-tasked, VCDS finds the interface OK.

Hello Mike
I have a customer with the same issue on a Lenovo Yoga 6 updated from Win 10 to Win11
Did you get this machine to run reliably with VCDS? Did you have to permanently disable that process, or what else you did to get it working?

Best regards
Derek

therealvrt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=503283
just picked up a windows 11 acer laptop. removed S mode, downloaded vcds. trying to run test for my hex v2 . does not work.
any ideas?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
just picked up a windows 11 acer laptop. removed S mode, downloaded vcds. trying to run test for my hex v2 . does not work.
any ideas?
What does VCDS say when you do [Options] -> [Test]?

What is the LED behavior on the HEX-V2 when it is plugged into your laptop? (No car needed).

-Uwe-

therealvrt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=503283
What does VCDS say when you do [Options] -> [Test]?

What is the LED behavior on the HEX-V2 when it is plugged into your laptop? (No car needed).

-Uwe-
Nothing happens, mouse icons spins, blue leds flashs on vcds. When i click the mouse again i get program not responding

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
blue leds flashs
OK, that means the HEX-V2 interface has successfully enumerated on USB, which is good.

Nothing happens, mouse icons spins,
When i click the mouse again i get program not responding
So VCDS won't start.

Try booting it up in SAFE mode and see if VCDS starts. If so, it's some pre-installed bloatware thing (most likely a nannyware program like virus scanner) that's causing the problem. Vendor pre-installed Windows can suck pretty badly sometimes and need cleaning to let the sunshine in. :)

-Uwe-

therealvrt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=503283
OK, that means the HEX-V2 interface has successfully enumerated on USB, which is good.

So VCDS won't start.

Try booting it up in SAFE mode and see if VCDS starts. If so, it's some pre-installed bloatware thing (most likely a nannyware program like virus scanner) that's causing the problem. Vendor pre-installed Windows can suck pretty badly sometimes and need cleaning to let the sunshine in. :)

-Uwe-
Thank you. That seems to have fixed the issue. I ran the test and restarted the computer again. Opened vcds and it did not ask me to run a test!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
That seems to have fixed the issue.
Hmm. I'm not sure exactly what fixed it. I was expecting you're have to uninstall some bloatware or at least adjust some settings once you had verified that VCDS would run in SAFE mode, but hey, I'm not going to argue with success either.

-Uwe-

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
@Mike@Gendan

Hello Mike
I have a customer with the same issue on a Lenovo Yoga 6 updated from Win 10 to Win11
Did you get this machine to run reliably with VCDS? Did you have to permanently disable that process, or what else you did to get it working?

Best regards
Derek
Sorry, been off for a few days over Easter so I've only just seen this.
Haven't found a permanent work-around as I don't know what device(s) the WDF thing is used by.

I don't regularly use VCDS on that machine, so I've just been killing the process manually when I do.

I was hoping RT would have seen it before and have some suggestions. If you find a solution I'd love to hear about it!

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Haven't found a permanent work-around as I don't know what device(s) the WDF thing is used by.
WDF =Windows Driver Framework, so it sounds like one of the third-party preinstalled drivers isn't properly signed by the vendor?

Derek

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56983
Thanks Mike

The customer said it pops back up as soon as he disables it, and he seems a bit nervous about making changes so for now he's using a different laptop.
I'm about to upgrade a Samsung machine here so I'm hoping to get the same problem on that and have a play :)

All the best
Derek

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
WDF =Windows Driver Framework, so it sounds like one of the third-party preinstalled drivers isn't properly signed by the vendor?

Yeah, as I said in my original post about it:

...but as nothing obvious stops working when I end-task it, and it's not listed in the Task Manager startup tab, I don't know which device / driver is causing it to run in the first place.

jddaigle

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=203563
I'm trying to get my 2013 Micro-CAN working with Windows 11. I'm running Windows 11 Home (21H2/22000.613) using Parallels on an M1 MacBook Pro.

The latest version of VCDS installs, but it doesn't seem like the USB drivers are getting installed because when I plug in the Micro-CAN it shows up in the Device Manager but I get a message that no driver is installed. The LED flashes green then orange and then turns off when I plug it in.

When I run a port test in VCDS with the Micro-CAN plugged in I get the message "Ross-Tech USB Driver Not Found!" and "Interface: Not Found!"

The really weird thing is that when I try to check the "Install USB Drivers for Legacy Interfaces" checkbox in the installer, nothing happens—I can't check it. FYI Windows 11 under Parallels doesn't support Core Isolation Memory Integrity, so that's not it.

I tried manually locating drivers under C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS but Windows can't find any drivers there.

Is it possible to get a stand-alone installer for the USB drivers? I feel like if I could get those installed I'd be back in business.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm running Windows 11 Home (21H2/22000.613) using Parallels on an M1 MacBook Pro.
Is it possible to get a stand-alone installer for the USB drivers?
No, because there are no drivers for those interfaces that will work on systems running on ARM architecture CPUs. So there is no way to make those old interfaces work on machines with ARM CPUs, no matter whether they are running Windows natively or in a VM.

You either need to use a machine with an Intel or AMD (x86 or x64) CPU, or you need to upgrade to a current interface.

-Uwe-

jddaigle

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=203563
No, because there are no drivers for those interfaces that will work on systems running on ARM architecture CPUs.

Ah, OK. Makes sense. Thanks—

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
Had Windows 11 21H2 and everything worked with HEX-V2. Recently upgraded to Win11 22H2 and noticed that when VCDS tries to access the interface, VCDS becomes unresponsive. Reinstalled VCDS but the issue remained. Something with 22H2 ?

Edit: Never mind, a restart and an unannounced software update later - it seems to be OK.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Something with 22H2 ?
Not sure. I only have one thing running Windows 11, an ARM tablet. I just updated it again (repeatedly) and it's still on 21H2 for now -- so apparently MS doesn't have 22H2 for it yet.

TBH, I am not keen to put Windows 11 on any of my other machines at this time.

-Uwe-

Nuje

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120875
Had Windows 11 21H2 and everything worked with HEX-V2. Recently upgraded to Win11 22H2 and noticed that when VCDS tries to access the interface, VCDS becomes unresponsive. Reinstalled VCDS but the issue remained. Something with 22H2 ?

Edit: Never mind, a restart and an unannounced software update later - it seems to be OK.
I've had similar issues with Win11 (ARM) not recognizing my Hex-Net and VCDS hanging. Given that I'm on a Mac, though...I expect weirdness.
And as above, a reboot and/or unplug/replug typically always solves the issue.

I will mention, though, that VCDS forced me to do a firmware update recently - which has failed miserably for me in the past when doing so through a virtual machine (temporarily bricked the HexNet, and had to re-animate it using a "real" Windows machine....which was a bootcamped Mac - but at least it worked).

Anyway, the firmware update in Win11(ARM) via Parallels on my M1 MacBook Pro...super smooth, no hangs, and by far the fastest firmware update I've done on the HexNet.