Sticky Windows 11

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
With the Windows 11 release imminent, we're starting to get questions.

We haven't done much testing, but don't anticipate any real problems with VCDS who are using any our current interfaces (HEX-V2 or HEX-NET). If you have a current interface, you might have to un-check the "Install USB Drivers for Legacy Interfaces" option in the installer. These drivers are not needed if you're using a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET:

InstallLegacy.png

If you're using a legacy interface (anything other than a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET), the old drivers may be a problem with the way Windows 11 appears to be configured by default. We believe work around should be:

Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Security -> Device Security -> Core Isolation -> Memory Integrity.

Turn Memory Integrity OFF.

This setting also exists in Windows 10, but it is OFF by default. If you have Windows 10, you can try turning it ON and Windows will present you with a list of drivers that are incompatible. Most people have drivers from other vendors that are also problematical with this setting.

Feedback from anyone who lives on the bleeding edge and insists on using a brand-new OS is welcome.

-Uwe-

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Hmm, we're seeing oddities here.

With a HEX-V2:
- VCDS hangs on the interface test (and never times out)
- VCIConfig reports "Unable to open interface, it may be in use...", but then finds the S/N, and successfully updates the firmware (albeit repeating the error message during the updates).

With a HEX-NET (HN1):
- All works fine via USB or WiFi

I've tried:
- A different V2 interface
- Uninstalling and reinstalling without legacy drivers
- Disabling all startup items that could interfere

So my testing at least points to a USB issue affecting the HV2, that doesn't affect the HN
With the V2 plugged in, if you select NET > Test, it times out searching OK, so it seems to be specific to when it tries to communicate with a V2 via USB.

Edit - Incidentally, this is on the latest Win11 release - Build 22000.282 co_release

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
What kind of computer?
Clean install or update from W10?

-Uwe-
Lenovo Yoga 510-14AST
AMD A9-9410
8GB RAM

Windows 11 Home, upgraded from Windows 10 via the Windows Insider Programme.

Technically not up to the Win 11 specs as the CPU is not on Microsoft's list, but I've not encountered any other problems so far...

(It's the PC we've used on Windows 10 at the last 2 Automechanika Birmingham shows to demonstrate VCDS)

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Windows 11 Home, upgraded from Windows 10 via the Windows Insider Programme.
Try a clean boot, either in Safe Mode, or by disabling all startup programs and non-MS services using MSCONFIG (assuming W11 still has MSCONFIG?)

-Uwe-

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Yes, Win11 still has MSConfig.

Safe mode - works OK!
So that would suggest there's something else running that's interfering.
Selective startup with all non-MS services and all startup items disabled still hangs :(

I don't understand how it only affects V2, not HN though :confused:

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Safe mode - works OK!
So that would suggest there's something else running that's interfering.
Right.

I don't understand how it only affects V2, not HN though
I believe they enumerate slightly differently; different PIDs?

Try this next: Leave the V2 plugged in. Power down them machine. Power it back up and let it boot normally. Again, leave the V2 plugged in the whole time.

-Uwe-

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Try this next: Leave the V2 plugged in. Power down them machine. Power it back up and let it boot normally. Again, leave the V2 plugged in the whole time.
I'd already been doing that :(

• Informative

Eric

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
No issue here.
Dell XPS-8930, clean install from official ISO.
S5AhQ8a.png

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
The last few VCDS tasks I've done have been on Windows 11, no issues to note, nothing special I had to do.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I've just switched to using a Lenovo Yoga 6 2-in-1 running Windows 11 Pro and VCDS works fine (got annoyed with how slow my previous Chuwi tablet was and how the keyboard would keep disconnecting!).

Nuje

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120875
I just got one of the new M1 Pro MacBook Pro machines, and on a whim, installed Windows 11 (ARM) via Parallels Desktop, then downloaded / installed VCDS (Win11 ARM apparently has some x86 emulation now baked in). By far the fastest installation I've seen - I thought it must have failed because it completed so quickly. Driver installation the one that said something about "HID" failed, but the other one got the check mark.

Plugged in my HexNet....shazam - it WORKED??!!!

(For the record: I certainly don't expect product support for this use case, but if anyone is wondering "if" with one of these new MacBook Pros....the answer right now looks to be "yes".)

rlarsen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=78998
I just got one of the new M1 Pro MacBook Pro machines, and on a whim, installed Windows 11 (ARM) via Parallels Desktop, then downloaded / installed VCDS (Win11 ARM apparently has some x86 emulation now baked in). By far the fastest installation I've seen - I thought it must have failed because it completed so quickly. Driver installation the one that said something about "HID" failed, but the other one got the check mark.

Plugged in my HexNet....shazam - it WORKED??!!!

(For the record: I certainly don't expect product support for this use case, but if anyone is wondering "if" with one of these new MacBook Pros....the answer right now looks to be "yes".)
Introducing x64 emulation in preview for Windows 10 on ARM PCs to the Windows Insider Program

How x86 emulation works on ARM

Nuje

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120875
Windows 10 (ARM) has been deprecated now and is no longer available. I'd been aware of the x64 emulation capabilities, but with the TPM requirements of Windows ARM, I had little hope or expectation of it working on a Mac - was very pleasantly surprised.

swick

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=153678
Just a note to let anyone who is considering using a windows 11 machine for VCDS know it can be done. I was able to install and use the software on a new mode S windows 11 laptop without issue after I removed the S mode restriction. I used it on a 2004 Jetta and a 2013 Touareg. I did not try to do any coding, but reading data and component testing functioned the same as it did under windows 10. Here is the link to do the removal: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-4f56d9be-99ec-6983-119f-031bfb28a307. It is the S mode that windows has set up for "security and performance"" reasons to prevent the installation of non-windows software. It is easy to permanently turn it off.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Just to be clear: You're still using the HEX+CAN interface you got back in 2012? And you did not have to Turn Memory Integrity OFF as described here?

-Uwe-

swick

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=153678
Just to be clear: You're still using the HEX+CAN interface you got back in 2012? And you did not have to Turn Memory Integrity OFF as described here?

-Uwe-
Yes I am using the original interface I bought in 2012. No, I made no changes to the memory integrity. It was plug and play from the get-go after I disabled S Mode.

• Informative

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It was plug and play from the get-go after I disabled S Mode.
Interesting data point. :thumbs:

Admin note: I've merged this into the other (sticky) Windows 11 thread.

-Uwe-

Antonyr123

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227908
I don't have a cable to try, So i can only speculate.

Windows 11 isn't made equal, The proper stuff will have second level addressing (like VT-X2 or RVI) and Virtualization-Based Security. Even Drivers need to be Vender Allowed lists Very effective at being in the way.

Windows 10 updated to 11 most will use normal Virtualization. like VT-x or amd-v . Lower end machines (Like older Atom and Dual Core) most likely work fine cause they have Virtualization disabled. So shouldn't get Hvci Issues either.

Safe mode can fix some issue, (Most likely older drivers) They also shouldn't not need memory integrity turned off on those Early windows 10 machines.

Either way, I'm Interested in seeing the progress into windows 11 :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Either way, I'm Interested in seeing the progress into windows 11
There is absolutely no issue using Windows 11 with any cable we've sold since the beginning of 2017.

Since you're using VCDS-Lite with a third-party cable, if there's a problem with drivers compatibility, that's on your cable supplier. ;)

-Uwe-