Audi/VW Dsg interchangeable?

Viccc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=402027
Hi, I am selling a 2017 Audi A3 7-Speed DSG (DQ200) transmission. I was asked if it would fit on VW Golf same year,same transmission model(thats what the buyer stated) , and im 75% sure it would, but wanted to ask here to make sure. Thank you!

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764
I'm pretty sure it will bolt up and CAN function, but the snafu you might run into is 'component protection,' which generally means you need to have the factory scan tool to match the component to the car. VCDS cannot do this.

On older DSGs, it was mostly just a matter of running the basic settings for clutches and selectors just to be sure it's all calibrated OK, then calling it good. As the transition to the MQB platform and UDS protocol for the transmissions happened, that changed.

Viccc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=402027
What if the buyer swaps the control unit from old one? Is there such way around it?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What if the buyer swaps the control unit from old one?
The "Control unit" for a DSG is integral with the solenoids and other components and is known as the "mechatronic" an that's the part that fails most often.

Another potential problem is that mechatronics often have engine-specific software in them. Does the proposed recipient Golf have the same engine as the donor A3?

-Uwe-