2004 W8 Phaeton Kessy and Airport Interference?!

desantj

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=313785
Hi, my 2004 W8 (NAR) Phaeton's been in the dealership shop a couple months...bad battery drain that kept killing the accessories (driver side) battery and finally killed the starter (passenger side) battery. Tech traced problem to the relay that connects the two batteries...2V voltage drop on one side. (I haven't picked the Phaeton up yet so I don't have the paperwork to look at.) At one point after fixing the relay, tech thought the ignition switch might be bad...I had that replaced several years ago. Working with the VW engineers in Germany, the tech eliminated the ignition switch issue and it's declared fully healthy.

Service advisor said the VW engineer asked if I live close to an airport...that airports generate signals (presuming the ground-based radars and other ground-air comms systems) that they've found can cause a Kessy to act up. Has anyone else heard this before? Reading thru the threads here after doing a fast Google search, I saw mention of 125 KHz and 315 KHz signals associated with the Kessy. (I worked F-15 avionics "black box" repair in the 1970s during my first stint in the US Air Force...radar, flight/nav/weapons controls...) I'd think the normal signals from airport systems would be very high in the harmonics count (i.e., the 1000th harmonic of the 125 KHz signal would be 125 MHz, in the range of air-ground radio traffic), and the signal strength would drop off enough to not be an issue. (I'm very rusty on my electronics, though...) I do see aircraft flying over the house multiple times daily at altitudes around 2,500 ft to 5,000 ft (departures and landings).

I'm waiting to see if VW engineers provide more details on what airport systems create issues. I work less than 10 miles away from Dulles International Airport in VA and I live about 17 miles away from Baltimore-Washington International Airport in MD. It's not a daily driver (2015 Golf TDi SE is the daily driver for the 40-mile commute to work) so it does sit until weekends at a minimum. Their comment piqued my curiosity and I can't be the first person who's heard this question from a VW engineer...at least, I hope I'm not.

Thanks and regards to all! v/r, Jim D, retired enlisted member/current DoD civilian

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Service advisor said the VW engineer asked if I live close to an airport...that airports generate signals (presuming the ground-based radars and other ground-air comms systems) that they've found can cause a Kessy to act up.
Color me skeptical.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I work less than 10 miles away from Dulles International Airport in VA and I live about 17 miles away from Baltimore-Washington International Airport in MD.
With those distances I would be very sceptical that airfield ground systems are involved.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
With those distances I would be very sceptical that airfield ground systems are involved.
Yup, even if it's theoretically possible if you're literally next to the transmitter, the inverse-square law of field strength still applies.

-Uwe-

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Never heard something funny like this . So all cars that are parked at airport that people leave for week or to while they travel will have drain :D.
Most commn problem on this car that I found over the years is either TPMS module or water damage in driver side footwell where kessy module is located .

HMC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28246
I have heard this (anecdotally) several times about different vehicles, with body controllers being kept awake by spurious signals and flattening batteries. People have found that parking in a different place has solved their flat battery woes. I vaguely remember that Land Rover modified an aerial to stop this happening.
Here is one report https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/79...-early-warning-station-can-be-quite-alarming/
Regards HMC

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I have heard this (anecdotally) several times about different vehicles, with body controllers being kept awake by spurious signals and flattening batteries. People have found that parking in a different place has solved their flat battery woes. I vaguely remember that Land Rover modified an aerial to stop this happening.
Here is one report https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/79...-early-warning-station-can-be-quite-alarming/
Regards HMC
When I worked for a well known automotive consultancy as electronics manager we investigated customer reports of being unable to lock/unlock their cars near Flyingdales. Some on the ground research shown peak signal levels from the equipment there as 400V/m, which considering the recommended test level for cars then was 25V/m (not up-to-date with the recommended test levels today) explained the issues.

Somehow I doubt that OP will be seeing levels from airfield ground radar even approaching 25V/m at his distance from the airfield.

Reactions: Uwe
Back