Should I buy VCDS (no previous experience)

Hybrid

Reaction score
Hi I looking for advice, I hate sending my car for routine servicing, but always willing to seek professional help for rectification of problems and have a good relationship with an independent garage. I’ve recently bought a 2020 Passat 2.0tdi and have established I need to connect a device to the OBD port if I wish to prime the fuel system after filter changes and to service the rear brakes. I am considering setting myself up with VCDS my problem is I have never plugged anything into a vehicle before. I looked at what other people get up to and discuss on this forum and have concluded the vehicle settings are determined by strings of numbers.
I’m really apprehensive that I could potentially change settings by accident by following an incorrect procedure etc.
Am I being over cautious or not?
Any help with making a decision to buy VCDS would be very much appreciated.
I am a mechanical engineer and install mechanical and electrical equipment into boats as part of my job, occasionally I use a lap top to set up equipment but this is very infrequently and is low tech stuff.

thanks in advance of any help.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I’m really apprehensive that I could potentially change settings by accident by following an incorrect procedure etc.
Am I being over cautious or not?
Most anything you can change is reversible, but don't change anything you're not certain of, and don't assume a procedure for some other type of car applies to yours.

Remember, everyone was new at this at some point. :)

-Uwe-

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
I hate sending my car for routine servicing, but always willing to seek professional help for rectification of problems and have a good relationship with an independent garage.
Here is my opinion on your question; as it seems only a few years ago I was in your position.

I quoted you above as it seems those statements are opposed to one another (in a general sense - not meant to offend). In short, as we could go on and on with questions on your VCDS decision, what is your motivation ? Some members have a real passion for the VCDS system of diagnostics and coding (changing things) ; they are professionals and can't wait to get into the next challenge - an intellectual exercise if you will. (many members here who will answer your questions by the way).

On the other end of the spectrum are members like me: enjoy working on cars (usually my own and one or two manufacturers , love tools, feel a great sense of accomplishment when I do it myself, (and...... save buckets of money)!!!!! ; yes even "routine servicing" - to your comment) and have accepted that cars are now rolling computers and I must learn those skills in order to complete a repair. What was once all "nuts and bolts" VCDS is now a integral part of the procedure: Before you start the repair , and with the case of your rear brake comment, during the procedure and After the procedure!

Also, for me, its about autonomy the independence you gain from having a tool (VCDS) that allows you to do so many (not all, like keys and other oem security issues) procedures that you would otherwise Have to go to the Dealer or Indy for. I don't know about you, but only having one option is usually not to your advantage!

In short (that's funny, I went Way long here) , if you are going to "work on" your own car you simply have no choice! The level of repair you take on is up to you: Some members purchase to obtain information (a VCDS Auto-scan) before they take the vehicle to the shop so that they have a sense of what is going on - nothing like good information. Some start with basics like a Auto-scan, reset service interval (dash light icon) oil changes , tweaking (personal changes) chimes for seat belts , and some, after getting comfortable with that, get into other repairs or maintenance . From there it gets into all sorts of involvement (retrofits etc.) .

So, back to your motivation (?). Surely you are detail orientated, understand logic, and have demonstrated that you are curious. And oh , yeah that money saving thing!

Because you may be working on your car yourself, you will need a few things (regarding VCDS) : Time , do you have free time, at least a hour or two, and sometimes a afternoon ? A battery charger , always a good idea (but really depends on what you are doing) to add or maintain voltage as doors may be open, lights may be on, systems may be activated (like your emergency brake caliper motors) when doing diagnostics.

Finally, if you later decide its not for you , for whatever reason, from what I have seen on ebay, Genuine RT VCDS units have excellent resale value ; they are a respected investment. (Caution, clones exist, Caution).

Hybrid

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the encouragement, if I go ahead and buy it, are there any online resources to demonstrate first time use, I am totally in the dark as to the procedure required to plug in to the vehicle (software open? Or ignition on or off? all that kind of stuff) and then how to initiate the communication link, what the “home page” looks like and then how to identify and proceed to the pages/functions within the VCDS software.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
I think I would first go to YouTube and search/look for Ross-Tech VCDS videos ; there is a comprehensive list of different functions / how to's depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Watch as many as you can ; they are usually quite short. In the YT search bar type in "How to..... click on "start Here" below.

Start with videos that are Ross-TechVCDS videos. Then come back to the Web-site and look around ; check Wiki for your car or look up videos for the emergency parking brake you referred to earlier. Read some posts, especially if it is related to your vehicle. But remember, all are only a example, some procedures will very depending on your specific application. Hence, why you will often see a answering member request a Auto-scan First from the original poster(OP). For example: there may be several variants (or changes) within the SAME model year (MY) of a vehicle.

That Auto-scan is the DNA of your car..... not "every car" like yours!

Start HERE

And HERE

Reactions: Uwe

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Also @Hybrid, you are currently in a rather unique position as you are preparing (potentially) for future involvement with VCDS, that is, you can explore and learn and prepare. Many of us came to VCDS in a "crisis" . We had / have a VW/Audi vehicle problem and naturally we are only concerned with that issue "trial by fire" if you will. That can be rather awkward and stressful for all involved as there is , as you imply, much to learn - even basics : like acronyms, you will see them every where (like the two I mentioned above). Its a new language, and they (VCDS users) speak their own language , not yours ; so we have to learn it and then you will find communication with very knowledgeable members much easier and engaging. Not only RT employees, but Pro users around the globe! It will come, just read the posts!

Keep in mind , it is the weekend and after hours (at RT) , so I have no doubt that you will be hearing from many others during the upcoming week. So, check back often and ask away ; note also the time difference as there are many active and very knowledgeable users in the UK as well as Australia, Germany, Serbia and many areas of Europe in between!

If you are searching on the RT web-site, and can't find something, do a Google search and when the results come up look for the links with Ross-Tech mentioned in the link as that will bring you right to the post in the RT forum.

Last edited:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
I just read this and I wanted to use it as an example (not a criticism) of what can happen when you try to repair these cars "by the seat of your pants technique" or "shoot a parts cannon at it". I have cropped out the identity of the OP / v. member! There are many of my points I attempted to convey to you in this single post ; Here is what I described to you......
Many of us came to VCDS in a "crisis" . We had / have a VW/Audi vehicle problem and naturally we are only concerned with that issue "trial by fire" if you will. That can be rather awkward and stressful for all involved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
XZ0lt7q.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I started my jeep" , perhaps VCDS wasn't reading correctly, (Translation) I ran the system low on voltage and connected / jumped it with another vehicle (very risky) ; hence my battery charger comment. (!)
This is only a example of the points I mentioned to you. It happens often. You don't want to start out this way.

Last edited:

VWT6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295527
online resources to demonstrate
procedure required to plug in to the vehicle (software open? Or ignition on or off? all that kind of stuff)
Start the PC. Plug the cable into the PC (allow a few seconds for the drivers to load), plug the cable into the vehicle.
Turn ignition ON (allow a few seconds for the vehicle's systems to boot up).
Launch the VCDS software.

Actually it's only the ignition ON which is essential at any/some point. The VCDS and the hardware is very robust/flexible.

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
Cars used to be all mechanical with a few simple electrics for things such as the ignition and lights with simple direct switching. Now a whole layer of electronics has been added on top of virtually every mechanical component... some would say whether its needed or not :)

You cant work on a car made in the last 15 to 20 years without something like VCDS to do the work on the electronic layer and its a simpler skill to learn compared to the mechanical layer IMHO

cheers
Rohan

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Ok thanks for the encouragement, if I go ahead and buy it, are there any online resources to demonstrate first time use, I am totally in the dark as to the procedure required to plug in to the vehicle (software open? Or ignition on or off? all that kind of stuff) and then how to initiate the communication link, what the “home page” looks like and then how to identify and proceed to the pages/functions within the VCDS software.
Many first time users come to us with this question. The answer is no, there is no online resource that is going to take you through all that has to be learned to be conversant with doing diagnostics on a VAG vehicle.

Having given the negative, there are thousands of users like you who learned by coming to this forum and by reading information posted on the Ross-Tech web site. As someone new to the whole thing, perhaps it would be helpful to a video or two of the tool being used to address a problem. These can be found as was mentioned on YouTube and a list of the Ross-Tech produced videos can be found in the Ross-Tech Wiki: Videos

Another great source of information to help you get started is the online demo manual. The buttons on the screens are active and you can explore a little about how the tool displays information.

It would be wrong for us to tell you it is easy. It is not easy. But it is like any skill, something that can be learned if the person chooses to learn it.

Back