Upper front suspension bearings renewal on Audi/VW vehicles

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
I've not had a great deal of experience with the problems that most Audi/VW front upper suspension mounting bearings create when they go rusty and need to be removed. I've seen some techs take a grinder to the top M8 bolts heads to remove the bearings in the past. Some cars such as Skoda and the Tiguan front suspension turrets are placed so far back under the front scuttle/screen area that access is impossible. The captive insert nuts break away from the bearing housing when the M8 bolts are being removed.

What is the recommended method to remove these bolts when normal methods can't be used?

Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
This clearly doesn't involved VCDS in any way. Moving to General VW/Audi Repair.

Can you post a picture of a troublesome one as an example?

-Uwe-

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
You'll need to refresh my memory how to post picture on this forum I've forgot. It's been a while :o

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
I've uploaded the pictures to imgur.com but I can't find a way of telling imgur how to post them here. Maybe this forum would be better off with its own attachment link like other forums have. It seems I can't upload them sorry.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
You'll be fine. I use Imgur.com
1) go to imgur, click on "new post" in UL corner
2) click on (on the right) "choose photo or video"
3)you now see your documents/pictures ; choose the photo/file you want, click open
4)photo now appears on imgur, This is what works for me (usually) ; right click ON the photo, then choose "copy image address"
5)use brackets [ ] with img inside the brackets
6)bracket img bracket then left click , paste, address should show WITH pdf (png works also) at the end, if not go back to imgur and right click again and "copy image address" Until it shows like this :
7)at the end of address ..... bracket ,forward slash / , img, bracket.
8)click post reply !

8DmtZNn.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
wow, the first pic was only the address link; and it posted the pic ! (no img or brackets ?)
(EDIT) I wanted to show the OP an example of what the link address looked like (ie. Until it looks like this...")

Last edited:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
On the Imgur site, Right click "save image address" ON photo, come here, left click, paste , address shows with png ending, click "post reply" (blue box LR)

Well that did work , once! Oh, well , so use the brackets and img as noted above

Last edited:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Seems that the link address post is inconsistent and if you "edit" it messes it all up! One try only or re-post. (start over).

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
I'm obviously doing something wrong after your point 4. Nothing seems to work after point 4.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
hmmmm, Is your chosen pic showing on the Imgur site? If so, place your cursor over the picture (center) and right click on the mouse over the picture, a small drop down menu should appear , now choose "save image address" I think its the third one down.

Now, come back to the RT web site and post a reply by starting a line with: bracket open "[" , then "IMG" letters, then closing bracket "]" place link within IMG brackets (no spaces anywhere) (right click on mouse, PASTE) link should now appear with png at the end of it. Now finish line by open bracket "[" , forward slash "/" , then "IMG" letters, then closing bracket "]" .

click Post reply!

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
Jesus loves a trier but I can't get it to work. The forum would be much better of with its own attachment link.

Last edited:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Bcx8o2m.png
Just like this!

try again, the link needs to end with png. If it is a long multi line string, that is probably not it . Try again!

Gb8VU4A.png
EXAMPLE of link above.

Last edited:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
I can't quite see what nuts/bolts you are referring to ; if you did remove the nuts (three small threaded studs around the periphery) or a large nut from the middle . You may have to go under the car in the strut tower area and see if you can pry it loose ; suspension needs to be unloaded (hanging).

Ah, just saw your 2nd pic (nice touch with the arrow!) I can't tell if that's the underside or the top side (under the hood/bonnet) ; I can't see any captive nuts you refer to. More pics? or an exploded diagram pic ?

Glad to see you got the pics coming!

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
The second picture is showing the underside of the suspension turret mounting point. The first picture is showing the same view but with the bearing/mounting fitted. The rusty bolts/nuts can be seen. Access to them now without the suspension leg fitted is easy, but not all cases will justify cutting off the coil spring to get the shocker off first.

Back