Audi A6 Powered Tailgate reporting open when closed

DTPW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=251432
Hi looking for some support please. I have and Audi A6 2010 Avant (UK) with powered tailgait open/close. The tailgate opens and closes fine, however I have developed a problem with the dash indicating the tailgate open when it has closed.

I have checked out the switches on the rear lock and cleaend with switch cleaner, WD40 etc. Have metered out the connection and micro switches seen to operate. I have watched the display while the tailgate closes, and the display initially show that it is closed, then after about 2 seconds there is a relay click heard in the rear fuse box and tailgate open light comes on.

Any suggestion of other things to try? Is there any closed position switches on the lift motors that I need to check? If so where are they located?

Thanks In advance for any help offered.

chillout1983

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162783
I don't know about the A6 but my passat had a burst rear washer hose at the tailgate the screen wash ran into a plug and caused this my friends passat had the same issue due to broken wires in the harness ,on the Passat the hose is within the harness that runs from the right rear quarter panel to the tailgate very common .

• Informative
Reactions: Uwe

DTPW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=251432
Thanks Bruce and chillout1983.

I have registered for the erwin so will pay up and download the wiring diagram.

As for the common fault, afraid that doesnt seem to be my problem. Have dismanteld the lock and it operated fine. Also purchased a second hand lock for breaker off ebay just to be sure and both operated the same.

Think there must be some problem with the tail lift motors and position sensors, but don't know what is in the motors to look for yet.

Any other advice would be helpfull. Do you know is the headling cover over the motors is just clipded in?

Thanks,

Dave

DTPW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=251432
Just an update.

With further stripdown, I dicovered that something had gotten into the lower lock pin mechanism that was stopping it closing all the way. when removed the pin could be fully retracted, and hence the final tailgate closed switch made.

Simple in the end.

Thanks for the suggestions and help anyway.

Back