No VCDS, 2014 Passat Radiator Fan Issue

RWMayo

Reaction score
Newbie here, just trying to find some help if possible. I don't have VCDS or any VW scan tools - just a novice trying to help my ex-wife with her car. Recently purchased, radiators started leaking. Replaced both radiator and turbo cooler, also AC Condenser. Then had to tear apart again to replace fan assembly. When plugged in, fans run continuously and NEVER shut off. Want to troubleshoot or replace J293, but I CANNOT locate it - different sites tell me different locations and I have no idea where it is. Also cannot locate ambient sensor, which some tell me could be problem.

If someone could tell me where these are, would be GREATLY appreciated. As a total novice (not a mechanic), also would like advice on best reasonable VW troubleshooting tool. Not overly well off, so if there's anything reasonable please tell me.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Hi and welcome to the Ross-Tech VCDS forum, the place where help is given to those who purchase and use the VCDS diagnostic tool for VAG cars. Systems start at $199. We're not going to give you a sales pitch cause we just do not do that.

Others may be along to help you with your search for information. I'm going to point you to the best source we know of for information: Official Factory Repair Information

You can buy access to pdf downloadable materials for as little as $35... Clear some space on your hard drive and begin the download.

RWMayo

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm certainly open to buying the tool, but this isn't my car and I dunno how much I'd need it. That being said, my ex-wife usually depends on me for help so might be worth it. Also have Airbag light on after repairs were done. I'll look into the link you sent me, but I already purchased a manual that was over 9000 pages - but it's mainly remove / replace. It shows where the J293 is - it says ON the fan - but I can't locate it. Anyway, thank you for the information.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Thank you. I'm certainly open to buying the tool, but this isn't my car and I dunno how much I'd need it. That being said, my ex-wife usually depends on me for help so might be worth it. Also have Airbag light on after repairs were done. I'll look into the link you sent me, but I already purchased a manual that was over 9000 pages - but it's mainly remove / replace. It shows where the J293 is - it says ON the fan - but I can't locate it. Anyway, thank you for the information.
It costs $35 to get the real information from VW. Not sure what your 9000 page book is.. the official information is on the web. That's what the dealer techs use.

Good luck.

RWMayo

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's an official VW repair manual - from Volkswagen. BUT, I'm looking through link you sent me. Much appreciated. Will most likely buy the VCDS and adapter, since troubleshooting by VW dealer is almost as expensive.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
since troubleshooting by VW dealer is almost as expensive.
RW, if you are going to continue to drive a VW or Audi (and some others) you WILL need VCDS ; that is, if you do not wish to be at the mercy of the Dealership (and that is not a desirable "position" (bend over) to be in, uhmmm). ONE visit saved from the dealer and you have your money back ; also, should you decide to sell your VW/Audi and get into another manufacturer, you can sell your dongle/cable on ebay and.... they have been know to sell for your original purchase price!(and... in some cases More!) Heck, having friends give you a ten or twenty every time you clear codes for them would pay it off in no time. It all depends on your commitment to your car(s) and your spare time. :thumbs:

RWMayo

Reaction score
I agree, and thank you. Realize it's not MY car, but my ex-wife's. I help her all the time, so probably a good investment. And yeah, one visit at a dealership ($160 just to troubleshoot) and it's paid for. So will purchase - just trying to solve this immediate problem with the radiator fans at the moment.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Oh, that's right (thank you). OK, well you could get on a VW forum and ask around if someone is in your area that has a VCDS and ask if they could do a Autoscan for you? (pay them ?) . Use your laptop so you can save the scan on your computer. There must be plenty of folks in Texas with VCDS! Were try-en! Keep us posted.