2011 Jetta TDI - heavy white/gray smoke heavy diesel smell

fin reaper

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=399146
I just bought this car recently; the mechanic of the person I bought it from said the turbo needed to be replaced due to the smoke, but after having this car for a few days, I'm thinking injector seal or injector issues. The smoke is heavy from idle and during acceleration, gray/white and smells of unburnt diesel - it really doesn't smell like burned oil to me.

Warm compression is 350, 340, 350, 325 psi.

Can any of the VCDS blocks help me identify injector or injector seal issues?

I don't have any fault codes related to injectors.

I won't be able to post a VCDS log until next week when I get back home.

What do you guys think? Anywhere else I should look before pulling the turbo?

IanC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=443988
My VW Golf 1.6TDI (2012) occasional does this in cold, damp weather and it often happens just before a Diesel Particle Filter warning light. When the engine is warm (after 10 mins) the smoke stops so I take it on a long drive to re-generate the DPF - it will happen again after a few weeks of short journeys, first symptom is smell of unburnt fuel.

Does the smoke from your car stop once the engine is warm? You could try a DPF re-generation just in case it is starting to get blocked - I think there is a code to see when this last happened and a way to force a re-generation to occur. I've just started using VCDS so can't say where to find these options - good luck !!

fin reaper

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=399146
It smokes cold or warm. To troubleshoot, I removed dpf to check turbo outlet - no change.

fin reaper

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=399146
Block 13 looks great. -0.07mg/str to 0.16 mg/str. I pulled the fuel return from the injectors and diverted them into individual water bottles. All injectors output about the same volume while running - no outliers. Still heavy white-gray smoke. Not sure where to go now

HMC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28246
Hi fin reaper,
You say " I don't have any fault codes related to injectors. ", does that mean there are dtc's for other things?
Have you checked the EGR is functioning correctly?
Regards HMC

fin reaper

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=399146
No egr codes.. I pulled the #4 injector and hooked it back up out of the engine. I put the nozzle in a plastic bottle and saw dripping and spray from #4 while the engine ran on the other 3 cylinders.

Next I'm going to run a bottle of dedicated diesel purge through the hpfp.

fin reaper

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=399146
Just closing the loop. I flushed the injectors, mid pump and hpfp with diesel purge,, bypassing the filter canister. No change. I replaced #4 injector, car still smoked. Ended up replacing all the injectors and now it doesn't smoke and no codes!.

Before I started replacing injectors, I did drain the tank and replaced the fuel filter, then added fresh fuel.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Ended up replacing all the injectors and now it doesn't smoke and no codes!.
Since you haven't posted a scan, I gotta ask: How many miles were on it?

-Uwe-

fin reaper

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=399146
Sorry, will do when I get home.

It currently has 127k miles. When I pulled the original injectors, there was a heavy yellow film on the injectors between the copper crush seal and the oring, almost oil like in texture, but very yellow, similar to UV additive in the AC system.

• Informative
Reactions: Uwe