2008 Volkswagen Passat with Xenon lights setting codes for HID lights.

satorisauto

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4557
On a 2008 VW Passat I replaced a J519 central convenience module for a starting issue, and performed the long coding with the VCDS coding helper tool. All works properly but the high beams do not work. I checked codes and found the J519 has codes set for xenon lights with motor flaps for high beam, but this vehicle has halogen lights with separate bulbs for high and low beams. The high beam bulbs are not burnt out and do operate if given 12 volts and ground. Service advisor called VW and per the VIN the car did come factory with the xenon lights and they did sell us the correct module. We are not sure the high beams worked previously as this car is new to the owner and we did not check before repairs. I looked closely through the long coding helper and did not see any boxes related to the headlights. My question is, is there a way to code the J519 module for the correct headlight system?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi and welcome.

Please post an Auto-Scan for context, so people can see how the car is equipped and configured.

-Uwe-

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
These are not factory xenons if there are seperate bulbs for low and high beam. But yes, please post an autoscan. If there is module 55 present, the vehicle did come with xenons from the factory but someone apparently at some point swapped in halogen headlights.

Reactions: Uwe

satorisauto

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4557
Hi, thank you for the replies. Sorry, I am a new user of the forums so I am not familiar with the posting the autoscan. I am not currently working on the vehicle and I am posting this in between other jobs, as we honestly don't have time to work on the car. We work on VW some but not exclusively so I am familiar with the VCDS but by no means an expert.
There are definitely halogen lights in the car now, it does not look like an amateur aftermarket install, it looks fairly factory on the surface. I did have the original autoscan printed from before replacing any modules, I checked and there is no module address 55 on it.
I will try to post current autoscan when i have time and am working on the vehicle.

Last edited:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Hi, thank you for the replies. Sorry, I am a new user of the forums so I am not familiar with the posting the autoscan.
Copy the text file that VCDS saves of the scan and paste it here, preferably using the </> icon in the forum editor.

Reactions: Uwe