Can vcds be used to simply read obd codes on non-vag cars?

airdrummer

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=449219
is there any downside to just trying it? a friend has the infamous ford chatterbox dct & it's cel is lit after an episode of overrevving & the dealer wants $170 just to read the codes:-\

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
By 2008, all OEs had to use CAN for diagnostics. Any 2008 or newer vehicle should speak via the OBD stuff in VCDS. While we cannot support your use on other vehicles, the tool should talk to that vehicle. No harm will occur to either the tool or the vehicle.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I cleared the DPF code several times for a colleague who had a Lexus using OBD mode.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
By 2008, all OEs had to use CAN for diagnostics.
Waxing pedantic here: The requirement to do OBD-II via CAN by MY 2008 was a US market thing. In other parts of the world, some of the older protocols were still in use years later.
Any 2008 or newer vehicle should speak via the OBD stuff in VCDS.
"Should". But we don't guarantee it will actually work on any non-VAG car.

is there any downside to just trying it?
No, I would have no compunctions trying it in any car with an OBD-II socket. Pretty much the worst that can happen is that it won't work.

No wait, there was some stupid car that had VSS pulses on pin 15 of the OBD-II socket (which VAG uses for the old L/K2 line). On that car (perhaps a SMART? I don't recall the details), attempting to communicate with some of our interfaces would roll the odometer forward! :rolleyes:

-Uwe-

airdrummer

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=449219
danke, uwe, looks like my friend's 2014 ford chatterbox isn't iso/obd2 compatible:-(borkbork)-:
IMG_0667.JPG

i was worried that i'd spent a vin(vcds added it) but i just opened vcds & i'm back to just 1/3, whew;-)

btw, uwe was my highschool german teacher's name...he was born here while his parents were traveling (good thing cult45 hadn't eliminated birthright back then;-} grew up ossi, swam a canal to escape, enlisted @ nearest u.s. consulate, ended up in pittsburgh vor achtundfünfzig Jahren;-)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
looks like my friend's 2014 ford chatterbox isn't iso/obd2 compatible
A 2014 US model is required by EPA regs to be ISO-15765 compliant, and in principle, VCDS should talk to it, but unless we have access to such a car, it's difficult to figure out why it doesn't. The old saw is, "The thing I like most about standards is how many ways there are to interpret them."

i was worried that i'd spent a vin(vcds added it)
Wait, I'm confused. VCDS was able to read the VIN from this car?

-Uwe-

airdrummer

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=449219
my friend turned off her ignition b/c the (non-stop) chiming annoyed her, so maybe that's why it failed?-\
but yes, i entered the last 3 digits, and came up with a full vin...didn't think to x-check w/car, & it had been dropped when i reopened vcds...
is there something i can do to debug the issue?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
my friend turned off her ignition b/c the (non-stop) chiming annoyed her, so maybe that's why it failed?-\
That is indeed almost certain to cause it to fail to connect.

but yes, i entered the last 3 digits, and came up with a full vin...
Don't do that for generic OBD-II. Refusing the register the car's VIN will not block generic OBD-II functionality. Whenever you're in doubt that you want to charge a car's VIN against you license, always try NO or CANCEL or whatever that dialog offers other than actually registering the VIN in the interface.

-Uwe-

airdrummer

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=449219
ah, i mistook the meaning of the green lights on the dongle:-\ i'll try again...