NET Test/Config Interface Not Found - Tried everything, Help??

AlanF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319245
Hi,
2018 Touareg, US Market.
HEX-V2 Dual K & CAN.
VCDS 21.3.0 - that's the current one on Ross-Tech.com. Downloaded with default installation while sitting in driver's seat.
In short, I have been unable to get any connection out from the VCDS software to the Internet. With NET Test, Config, Registration, etc. I just get Port Status: OK, Interface: Not Found.
In Config when looking for networks, there is nothing - not the 6-10 wifi networks seen by any device in our driveway or house. Laptops themselves are fully connected to working wifi throughout the process.
What I have tried:
2 laptops, 1 desktop, Windows 7 and 10.
Disabled firewalls fully, both on laptops (Windows Defender) and the Router. No other virus protection is running.
Entered permission to specifically allow ports TCP 10002, TCP 11000, and UDP 777, both outgoing and incoming. Also entered rules to specifically allow the various .exe applications, VCDS, VCIConfig, etc.
Tried with laptops hardwired via Ethernet. Tried my iPhone mobile hotspot as the wireless source too.
Tried all this in the running car with all connected, in house with just laptop, etc.
None of this seems to have changed anything, as again the software never sees a network, mine or any other. I have read of the HEX-V2 providing its own hotspot (H1 or something like that?) though one is not seen either by the software or other devices, phones, laptop, when all connected and car running.
Now, using the software to test the USB HEX-V2, that port reads OK, though prompts me to download firmware. It has found the VIN. That takes me to the NET or Config and no networks found, no connection made, as above.
The HEX-V2 is green light, I believe often or always with a periodic on/off like a cycle of about 2 seconds. This is an older unit that I believe does not have the multiple LEDs I find in some of the instructional videos. The only interface I ever see is back to the HEX-V2 while it is connected, running. Never wifi. Software stays in AP mode as seen on the Config window.
Tried an earlier version of the VCDS, 17.X something, same result, same problems.
A year ago, this all worked. Same car, same laptop, same HEX-V2, the VCDS 17.X software. This time, no.
Please help???
As you might imagine, car stuck in driveway with check engine light on, we're all stranded here, something wrong and I don't know what without functioning VCDS.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Your HEX-V2 doesn't have any network. Use the USB port in VCDS.

AlanF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319245
Your HEX-V2 doesn't have any network. Use the USB port in VCDS.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

The HEX-V2 is of course physically connected via USB cable, and I have clicked the USB test button within VCDS - which returns Port OK, get firmware update. It then maintains that as my only visible interface and indicates 3 or 4 of what I think are firmware versions.

As I said I have not seen any new hotspot emanating from the HEX-V2, on any device, so am not surprised if it does not have that function. I only read of that yesterday for others having trouble of this sort, so wanted to mention that I don't seem to find it.

Unless I am misunderstanding your point??

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

AlanF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319245
It sounds like you need to update the firmware in your HEX-V2. Please see the second video here:

-Uwe-
Hi Uwe,

Thanks for that reply.

I'm not sure if you've had a chance to read my whole post, but the VCDS software is not communicating with the outside world, as I cannot get it to see any network. So unfortunately the procedure in the video is not possible. As above, any use of the Config program does not connect. Unable to contact server. Test result: fail.

Can the firmware be downloaded directly via browser from the website, outside of the VCDS program? I have searched the website and not found this.

Updating the drivers may be helpful, surely, but I cannot do so through VCDS until I can get VCDS into contact with the Internet. The software cannot connect, regardless of whether the HEX-V2 is connected/involved or not. That seems to be the primary problem at this point.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
As above, any use of the Config program does not connect. Unable to contact server. Test result: fail.
In that case, you need to sort out your internet connectivity problem.

Updating the drivers may be helpful,
The HEX-V2 enumerates as an HID device and doesn't need any special drivers.

Do you other internet connectivity from this same computer?

What happens if you try to manually PING Ross-Tech.com and VCDS-Cloud.com ?

-Uwe-

AlanF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319245
In that case, you need to sort out your internet connectivity problem. Is your computer on a wired or wireless network? Is it a home network or some work network?

The HEX-V2 enumerates as an HID device and doesn't need any special drivers.

-Uwe-
As I described above, we have tried wireless, wired, and iPhone hotspot via both wifi and cellular, with identical (non) results. We have disabled all firewalls, enabled the specific ports commonly mentioned in solutions and by VCDS itself, and granted full permissions to the programs themselves. The only internet connectivity problem we have is with the VCDS program itself - so that's why I have come here for help. The software is not showing ANY of the wireless networks in range, let alone the one to which the laptop running VCDS is currently connected. It's as if an internet connection toggle switch in VCDS options is set to off. What has to be sorted out other than how to get VCDS to actually connect? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
If a browser on your PC is able to connect to the internet, then with a HEX-V2 all is OK.

Since a HEX-V2 doesn't have a WiFi connection of its own you should just ignore the NET option on the VCDS config page - as that is only relevant when a HEX-NET is used.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The software is not showing ANY of the wireless networks in range, let alone the one to which the laptop running VCDS is currently connected. It's as if an internet connection toggle switch in VCDS options is set to off. What has to be sorted out other than how to get VCDS to actually connect? Thanks for any help you can provide.
VCDS does not need/use a network connection except with a HEX-NET interface, which you do not have.

VCIConfig does, in order to fetch firmware updates from our server, but it uses the standard Windows networking stack, and it has no reason to know any of the particulars, such as "the wireless networks in range".

Again, what happens if you try to manually PING Ross-Tech.com and VCDS-Cloud.com ?

-Uwe-

AlanF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319245
If a browser on your PC is able to connect to the internet, then with a HEX-V2 all is OK.

Since a HEX-V2 doesn't have a WiFi connection of its own you should just ignore the NET option on the VCDS config page - as that is only relevant when a HEX-NET is used.
Hi, thanks for this. It sounds good, but . . .

Sitting in the running car now, connected to HEX-V2 and (laptop) internet.

I go right into Autoscan. That yields "failure to communicate" and please use Options - Test
Options Test (still on USB) yields Port OK, Firmware update required. Press OK to open Config Utility for Firmware Update. (Only other option is cancel)

Config Utility come up (AP Mode displayed), where it attempts Update button, which after about 10 seconds yields "Network Error" and "Cannot connect to server" and "Test result: Failed". Now also on the Config page, the Wifi button shows no networks, with "Scan for wifi" grayed out. Clicking Registration or Updates - Check for updates just results in the same 10 seconds of attempt followed by "Network Error" and "Cannot connect to server" and "Test result: Failed".
The Overview tab has my HEX-V2 #H11-000393, Unit Registered, and VINs stored:1. This is the only "Interface" ever shown.

So you see I am in an deadly loop, where the Autoscan (or any other actual scan function) won't work but prompts me for Firmware Update. But Firmware Update within VCDS will not work without a connected VCDS, and VCDS won't connect.

Help please?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Help please?

Call us. 267-638-2300. Option 5 for Support. Note: We're closed for lunch between 1:00pm and 2:00pm eastern time.

-Uwe-

AlanF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319245
VCDS does not need/use a network connection except with a HEX-NET interface, which you do not have.

VCIConfig does, in order to fetch firmware updates from our server, but it uses the standard Windows networking stack, and it has no reason to know any of the particulars, such as "the wireless networks in range".

Again, what happens if you try to manually PING Ross-Tech.com and VCDS-Cloud.com ?

-Uwe-
OK, this may be getting to it, thanks.

I absolutely have had and do have internet function - as I commonly assess by accessing new web pages, links, etc. and watching them quickly load. Like this forum, for example. Or Amazon.com.

I had to Google how to ping.

Pinged Ross-Tech.com and VCDS-Cloud.com, I get timed out x 4, sent = 0, received = 0 - which is I think a failed ping.
Note I get the same results pinging Yahoo.com and Amazon.com.

And I've had internet access all the while, reading the forum and other news pages while I sit here.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What antivirus do you use?

Its possible that the antivirus has a web protection function that only allows traffic through port 80 (used for web browsing).

edit: re-read first post, and it looks like you have defender only. Have you taken a look at your hosts file? It should not have any Ross-Tech urls listed.

Last edited:

AlanF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319245
What antivirus do you use?

Its possible that the antivirus has a web protection function that only allows traffic through port 80 (used for web browsing).

edit: re-read first post, and it looks like you have defender only. Have you taken a look at your hosts file? It should not have any Ross-Tech urls listed.

Thanks all for your help. It was indeed some kind of very protective (or restrictive) feature of our latest router/modem set up, coupled with slower wifi performance out where the car is and me letting the software lead to think I had to get something happening in the NET area. So we've disabled something else and can now ping and allow the firmware download that was holding me up. Now at least I'm working on the car problem. Thanks again.