Future VCDS (with SFD capability)

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
When the new Hex-Net comes out , with SFD capabilities, it should be a special color ; to celebrate!

Last edited:

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
I would have thought SFD was in breach of the EU repair-ability rules if its aim is to stop third party repairs. How are VW getting around this such that it requires a new VCDS edition to access the new cars now?

cheers
Rohan

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
When the new Hex-Net comes out , with SFD capabilities, it should be a special color ; to celebrate!
SFD support doesn't require a new interface.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I would have thought SFD was in breach of the EU repair-ability rules if its aim is to stop third party repairs. How are VW getting around this such that it requires a new VCDS edition to access the new cars now?
SFD blocks some diagnostic functionality in some modules of Mk.8 and MEB cars. I'm not familiar enough with EU repairability rules to make any comments. But then I don't understand how they've gotten away with CP for the last 10-15 years either, or even their immobilizer nonsense for the last 20 or so. I suspect the excuse is than any independent workshop can jump through a bunch of hoops and get a GeKo/Fazit account and then do all these things.

It will get interesting in the USA as well, especially as those cars get older.

-Uwe-

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
It will get interesting in the USA as well, especially as those cars get older.
Remember the "cash for clunkers" program ; lets hope that doesn't return.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Remember the "cash for clunkers" program ; lets hope that doesn't return.
I do remember. Some of the cars that were destroyed because of that program damn near made me cry.

However, it will be a while before any car with SFD is a "clunker". Right now, there is exactly one car in the NAR market that has SFD; the ID.4. Next up will be the Mk.8 GTI and Golf R; we should be seeing those here later this year, I think.

I'm actually kinda surprised this SFD stuff didn't start with Audi. In the past, Audi was at the forefront with new generations of Immo, with CP, and with the "you gotta have the hood open to have write access to modules".

-Uwe-

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Thanks for all the info. Uwe !

AINils

VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56975
I do remember. Some of the cars that were destroyed because of that program damn near made me cry.

However, it will be a while before any car with SFD is a "clunker". Right now, there is exactly one car in the NAR market that has SFD; the ID.4. Next up will be the Mk.8 GTI and Golf R; we should be seeing those here later this year, I think.

I'm actually kinda surprised this SFD stuff didn't start with Audi. In the past, Audi was at the forefront with new generations of Immo, with CP, and with the "you gotta have the hood open to have write access to modules".

-Uwe-
A3 8Y starts in germany nearly same like Golf 8.... And all the other models are just facelifted MQBevo cars which are compared to MQB facelift doesent use SFD

• Informative
Reactions: Uwe

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
The latest Skoda Octavia Mark 4 is also on the same platform as the Golf 8 and has been on sale since late 2020 in the UK and Europe.

AINils

VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56975
The latest Skoda Octavia Mark 4 is also on the same platform as the Golf 8 and has been on sale since late 2020 in the UK and Europe.
Forgot that car, but agree with you. Also Caddy MK5 which is released in 2021