Security Access Codes question

MLB

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=348541
RossTech website says "Valid Login codes can be found in the Factory Repair Manual for your car"
I paid ErWin and downloaded everything for my new-to-me RS5, using a VIN-based search, and I believe this qualifies as the Factory Repair Manual, right?
But after looking through every pdf file, I never found any such documented codes?
Where should I expect to find them?

--Michael

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@MLB : Micheal Hi.

I'm not sure when the quote in your post was added to the online manual - but, (IMO, of course) it would be drawing a very long bow indeed to read it as Ross-Tech guaranteeing that the identity of every security code in any module in any VAG model (ever built) could be found in the Factory Repair Manual!!

Fact is that in these modern days, VAG security codes (SA) are as scarce as rocking-horse-shit! Mostly, these gems are handed-down to us plebs in the wider community more from forums like this - they are seldom (never?) revealed through official VAG material.

My practice from many years of prospecting SA has been to take note whenever I find a new one (they are far too rare and precious to ignore!!)

So, in the main, Mr Google is your friend -as is your personal request as a forum member (which may, or may not be successful)!!

Don

Last edited:

MLB

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=348541
Hi and thanks for your reply. I certainly didn’t mean to imply that I expected Ross tech to guarantee anything, so there’s no need to be snarky. But those exact words are what Ross tech website says on the matter so I thought they must mean something, right? Maybe that line should be revised?
I’m just trying to find information on this topic.
I wonder if there’s a sort of crowdsourcing way to make progress here by listing blocks of numbers for people to try if they want to volunteer?
I would volunteer, but six digit codes would seemingly take forever to hit on even systematically?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I wonder if there’s a sort of crowdsourcing way to make progress here by listing blocks of numbers for people to try if they want to volunteer?
Sounds a good idea but ... SA codes are not consistent between types of control module, hardware & software versions of control module, etc.

So every code would need to be tried on every hardware & software version of every module - and that's going to run into the thousands (maybe even millions) of modules, then multiply that by a million for every 6 digit code and I don't think even if every Ross-Tech customer worked at this we would discover all the codes and combinations.

Currently there is a thread with a list of known SA codes (which I can't find at the moment!) which have been learnt from a combination of old VAG documentation and contributions from the community when they have been working on a fix or retrofit.

I can't see another plausible way - but I'm all ears...

@MLB BTW DV52 is, like you and me, just a Ross-Tech customer.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
RossTech website says "Valid Login codes can be found in the Factory Repair Manual for your car"
Yes, that was the case in the early days, when the Factory Repair Manuals also contained full, detailed scan tool procedures.

These days, all this stuff is buried in the Dealers' factory ODIS software. :(

What are you trying to do on which car?

-Uwe-

NHN

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=63355
@MLB If anything, Don was being very helpful & informative, nothing snarky in his reply at all tbh.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Hi MLB (love the RS5 btw) , from what I have read on this forum whenever a member is faced with a vcds window that needs to be populated with a security number/code two things occur: one, a bubble popes up and gives you a number to enter or try.......and second, you post a thread specific to what you are trying to correct or change, and also a complete autoscan, and ask for the specific security code for that module/window (screen shots also very helpful!) . The forum looks them up or asks around on a As needed basis (from what I have observed) . Keep in mind in todays day and age, anything published is subjected to expiration! Always check published dates. Ross-Tech has been at this for many moons!

I would take that Autoscan to heart and should you ever "get in trouble" a copy will be available here! (besides your laptop etc.)-------> you know, the one that crashes or wears out and you get rid of ; and forgot all about that precious data!!

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Hi and thanks for your reply
No thanks needed - it was my pleasure!

there’s no need to be snarky.

Please be assured that in my advanced years of decrepitude, I reserve precious emotions (such as "snarky") for only very-rare cases - meaning cases that are important to me. Forum replies are immeasurably trivial in this personal philosophy and you would need to work infinitely harder to illicit even the slightest semblance of "snarky-ness" from this canard-noir !!

But, to the extent that the intention behind my words was unclear - my apology. Absolutely, definitely, NOTHING "snarky" meant in my reply.
I would volunteer, but six digit codes would seemingly take forever to hit on even systematically?
Nice thinking - I'm not aware that VAG ever used "six digit codes" (albeit I did read in one of @Uwe replies that VAG were considering this regime)

There are devices that can "mine" SA from older style modules by brute-force. These devices (not VCDS) do this by holding the module open for a set time and by trying ever possible candidate (i.e. one number attempt during each open-period).

Almost certainly, your RS5 would use the much-loved and ubiquitous five-digit-code protocol for its SA. This means that the device MUST poll 100,000 numbers per module to make sure that ALL SA are found

I have undertaken the SA mining task using one of these devices on my MQB platform test-bench and I can attest that it took something like 8 hrs (can't remember the actual number) to complete the task for a single module (BCM). Again with absolutely no offense intended, good luck doing this on a real car which would give answers for only the modules in one vehicle and then convince others to do the same on their cars! Plus "the device" is not an insubstantial cost in the exercise!!

However, there is another way - given your declaration to be a "volunteer", why not use that stated commitment to become a dedicated researcher for SA for MLP platform cars? This task would translate your commitment to the requirement to spend time searching the web for known SA for the RS5 platform. As you build your own personal database - you could share your findings with the forum community. I've been doing something similar for MQB platform cars for many years- it can be quite demanding, but it is rewarding!!

What do you say?

Last edited: