VW T4 2.5 TDI EDC15 Retrofit

wolfsburgnut

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=165644
I have a 1996 VW T4 Transporter cargo van (Canadian spec) that I am swapping a 1998 2.5TDI ACV code engine into. I am also not going with the original MSA15 ECU, and have gone to a EDC15 ECU and harness from an AXG code motor (150HP 2.5TDI version). I have had the immobilizer requirement removed from the ECU by Malone tuning, but I noticed in the current diagrams that the OBDII port uses a K line from the immobilizer to communicate. My question is whether I can use the CAN bus from the EDC15 ECU to wire to the OBDII port, and use that to communicate to VCDS, and remove the requirement for the immobilizer module altogether?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If the ECU is immo-defeated, you can just bring the K-Line from the ECU (which might be called the 'W' line) straight out to the pin 7 of the diagnostic socket. The only reason it goes through the immobilizer in the factory wiring harness is so that the immobilizer can disconnect the ECU from the diagnostic port during the immobilize negotiation between it and the ECU.

EDC15 ECUs don't diagnostics via CAN.

-Uwe-

wolfsburgnut

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=165644
Thanks so much!