Emergency Assistant in NAR region

dr_torch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=442284
Greetings:

I have managed to enable TJA on my 2019 Audi A3 NAR and once that was activated I went ahead and turned on Emergency Assist.

In case you don't know what Emergency Assist is, I shall give a brief description :)

In North America in the event that the driver takes their hands off the steering wheel and active lane assistance is switched on, after 12 seconds the car will prompt the driver to steer the car. If they do not then active lane assistance will switch off and the car will gracefully drive into the ditch beside the road. Helpful, eh ;)

In Europe (and perhaps other places) they have a feature called Emergency Assist (EA). It reacts the same as above, except if the driver does not retake control they get a more forceful beep and a prompt to take control. This is followed by a brake jolt to try to rouse the driver from their slumber. Eventually if there is still no input the car turns on the hazard warning lights and reduced the speed of the ACC to 0 km/h. The car then comes to a complete stop.

To turn it on you HAVE to have TJA enabled first and then:

Code:
A5 Byte 16 bit 2-3 must be set to "EA Variant 2"
03 Should have Byte 29 bit 5 enabled (mine was already)
13 Byte 04 bit 2 (Emergency Assist installed) needs to be set to enabled
09 Adaptation - "Außenlicht_Blinker-Warnblinken_durch_Fahrerassistenz" to active (this was my German lesson of the day)

Unfortunately in NAR this did not turn it on. I discovered that the following was needed:

Code:
A5 Byte 6 Country Variant needs to change from NAR to Europe (well, or maybe just not NAR)

Now this works really well - however I have lost the speed limit display on the MMI. This was coming from the GPS data and I am a touch surprised that this change affected it.

Anyway - my question - does anybody know what else this "country variant" changes in the A5 module. I'm temped to try to set it to "RdW" (rest of World) or "not coded" to see if I can get the best of both worlds (the EA and the speed display on the MMI) but I am a bit nervous. haha

If anybody has more information I would love to hear from you :)

Thanks all!

Last edited:

massimo23

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364379
You mean this:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@dr_torch: First, for obvious reasons, my knowledge of NAR models ain't too good - but at least for A3's that we get down here in the very deep South, EA is not specifically part of TJA. For example, my 2017 ROW A3 doesn't have TJA, but EA is active.

As for your specific question about "Country_Variant", I don't know the answer -but maybe there is intelligence in the options:
GTo8r6l.png

At first glance, the settings simply appear to be a list of the markets for which the vehicle is intended. However hex03 Hot_country in amongst the options is perhaps a tad more interesting.
I'm totally guessing, but AFAIK the only aspect of R242 that is remotely related to temperature is what the WD calls Z113 - which is an etched foil resistance heating element that is integrated into the camera housing and which de-mists and de-ices the camera viewing window.

However, why Hot_country is included in the list of other markets and how (or, if) it might relate to the heater is a mystery to me!!

Don

Last edited:

dr_torch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=442284
Hello @DV52 - thank you very much for your reply. You are very knowledgeable :)

I'm curious how AE works when the vehicle does not have TJA. Without it, the car does not follow the line markings below 65 km/h right? In this case I wonder how it stays in the lane to come to a complete stop.

I tried RdW and not_coded - there were no issues with the A3 however the speed does not display on the navigation.

So I guess I have a theory. I'm thinking the country variant found in the A5 module is to disable features for certain markets. Perhaps it's features like EA that Audi could not get government approval in certain countries (this is what I heard had happened in Canada).

It seems that before AE activates, this value is checked, and if it is NAR then EA does not switch on. Lane guidance simply turns off.

I'm also guessing that this value is used when displaying speed limits on the navigation system. The navigation system has encoded speed limits built into the map (not that they are always correct or up to date) but the lookup seems to take into account not only the location but the region. Perhaps it's it display the regionalized signs - so you get round ones in Australia / Europe and rectangular ones in Canada / US.

So I feel now I have a decision to make - either I can have the speed limit displayed on the navigation or I can have emergency assist :)

dr_torch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=442284
Ok - this is totally my fault. In 5F I had Byte 24 Bit 6 unchecked. It's labeled "VZA" and I thought it was related to traffic sign recognition - but it seems to be a flag to display the speed limit on the navigation.

So nothing to do with the country variant.

I now have TJA and EA working correctly.

Overall - good learning experience.