Testing before my NEXT project.

Ramp Rat

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=374286
It looks like I’m going to have to replace the EGR Cooler on my 2006 TDI BRM. Because I’m going to have a lot of stuff off or loose behind the block I’m going to look into what else might need replacement. Is there a way to use the VCDS to test things like the EGR system, Flapper motor/valve and what about testing the Cruise Control system? I’ve done the test for the Turbo vein controller (Basic Settings 011) with numbers that are a bit low but within specs.

My latest Auto Scan is here: https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/28001/

Thanks for the help.

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Generally on older TDI engines, Basic Settings group 003 is for EGR testing. Hold brake and accelerator pedal down and the ECM should toggle the EGR on and off and you look for a +100 different between the on and off states.

Reactions: Uwe

Ramp Rat

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=374286
Generally on older TDI engines, Basic Settings group 003 is for EGR testing. Hold brake and accelerator pedal down and the ECM should toggle the EGR on and off and you look for a +100 different between the on and off states.

After doing exploratory surgery, taking things off and making a shopping list for what I might need for the EGR Cooler change, I put the Ol’ gal back together. I ran the Basic Setting EGR (group 003) test and this is what I saw:

1407 RPM, Test OFF, the EGR actual was between 385 and 400.
1407 RPM, Test ON, the EGR actual was between 185 and 200.

So, I’m guessing that everything in the EGR world is OK except the EGR Cooler leaking soot out the valve shaft. Unless you see something in those numbers that isn’t good.
Thanks,