Upgrading Micro-CAN Interface, verifying compatibility

iainb

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272125
Hi there,

I currently have a Micro-CAN USB that I use with my 2016 MK7 Golf R.

I have a 2021 B9.5 SQ5 incoming and it seems I need to upgrade to a newer dongle so it will work with the new car. I am keeping the MK7 and will likely replace it with a MK8 in a couple years. I wanted to verify that the newer Hex-V2 Enthusiast will work with the MK7 R, the B9.5 SQ5 and the MK8 R.

I checked the Audi wiki page and it only mentions the B8. I can't imagine it would not work with the MK8 R but maybe someone has already confirmed?

thanks!
iain

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes, a HEX-V2 will work with all those cars.

Beware however that there are constraints imposed by VW on the Mk.8 platform where they have disabled most types of write access to the modules via SFD.

There's a long thread about it here:

-Uwe-

iainb

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272125
RE the MK8, I should have seen this coming with the pay-for-feature garbage that Audi is starting to push. They just announced the start of these "feature rentals" with the '21 cars, starting with the new "navigation OTA subscription". Of course it would trickle down to VW...

Thanks for confirming the new model will work with the MK7 and the SQ5. I'll put in for an upgrade at some point, I'm about a month and a half out from delivery of the SQ5.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
"feature rentals" with the '21 cars, starting with the new "navigation OTA subscription"
Especially for navigation, this is completely nuts. Why would anyone pay for that when Google Maps / Nav is free, and everyone already has it in their phone anyway?

-Uwe-

iainb

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272125
No joke right? I mean, it's not a coincidence I didn't pay $1500 for nav when I ordered. The maps on the digital cockpit is a neat party trick but $36/mo for the Audi subscription plus now map updates is utter nonsense.

I guess we should be glad Audi hasn't stooped to the level of BMW, first charging $300 to add CarPlay/AndroidAuto and then just moving it to a monthly subscription. Well, at least not yet...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The maps on the digital cockpit is a neat party trick
We have a 2018 Tiguan that can display the maps in the virtual instrument cluster, and it came with Nav. Nav was part of the SEL Premium Package, which was the only way to get some of the other features we wanted. But you what? I've never used the built-in Nav. I plug in my phone and use Android Auto. If Tesla Model 3 owners can look at the center display for literally everything, I can look at the center display when I wanna see a map. :D

-Uwe-