2006 Jetta TDI with DSG stumbles.

Ramp Rat

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=374286
Yes , that what I was looking for .
Difference number looks good but your numbers are very low on boost pressure , never seen this much low , Possible someone was messing with VNT Actuator or closing point of turbo exhaust side and that could make problem what you experiencing .
Numbers needs to be close what I have in my post .
Do you have Vacuum pump ?
If you do , can you please do this , Put Vacuum pump on VNT Turbo Actuator, apply vacuum very slowly and tell me when rod start moving what number you have on gauge and when stop?
They need to be when start moving 4-5 when stop 17-19. This can be difficult to see it at first time so may do it few times , you need to catch it soon as that rod move .

I did that as well. I tested it about 5 times. Each time the rod started to move at 4-5 and would stop at 16-17. The shaft moves smoothly and I could not feel any vibration or sticking when it was moving. The last time I looked at the turbocharger blades they looked good and there was no play in either direction of the shaft. From a standing start and putting the fuel peddle to the floor, the car wants to put you in the back seat. It shifts smoothly with no hiccups.
Could there be a drop in system vacuum when the engine is changing from a slight descent to an incline? Without going through the trouble of installing a vacuum gauge, can I get a real time vacuum reading using the VCDS? Again, this stumble doesn’t happen all the time just once in a while after an all-day drive in hot weather.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
I did that as well. I tested it about 5 times. Each time the rod started to move at 4-5 and would stop at 16-17. The shaft moves smoothly and I could not feel any vibration or sticking when it was moving. The last time I looked at the turbocharger blades they looked good and there was no play in either direction of the shaft. From a standing start and putting the fuel peddle to the floor, the car wants to put you in the back seat. It shifts smoothly with no hiccups.
Could there be a drop in system vacuum when the engine is changing from a slight descent to an incline? Without going through the trouble of installing a vacuum gauge, can I get a real time vacuum reading using the VCDS? Again, this stumble doesn’t happen all the time just once in a while after an all-day drive in hot weather.
That looks OK, I prefer to be stop point at 18-19 more like then 16-17, I think someone adjusted stop bolt little bit higher.
One thing pop in mine mind, is it hesitation like un balance tires or more like miss fire?
I have seen problems with tires lately ,even Michelin, that on low RPM ( Which will be at 65 around 1900-2000 rpm) acceleration will hesitate and shake , my car did that .Steering was not doing it , but I could fill it in car , went back and told them to balance tires with road force and that took care of the problem.

Ramp Rat

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=374286
That looks OK, I prefer to be stop point at 18-19 more like then 16-17, I think someone adjusted stop bolt little bit higher.
One thing pop in mine mind, is it hesitation like un balance tires or more like miss fire?
I have seen problems with tires lately ,even Michelin, that on low RPM ( Which will be at 65 around 1900-2000 rpm) acceleration will hesitate and shake , my car did that .Steering was not doing it , but I could fill it in car , went back and told them to balance tires with road force and that took care of the problem.

Nope, not tires. It's more like a miss fire or an overdrive kicking out and back in but it happens within less than a half second.

Something I did note while the VCDS was doing the Basic Settings of 011. While the system was switching from OFF to ON and back again, I could feel the engine shudder like a very fast and short term miss fire. It wasn't a smooth transition between OFF and ON.
Right now I'm going to run another Basic Settings 011 and this time I am going to remove the sound covers off the engine and watch the control rod movements. Maybe that will show something.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Something I did note while the VCDS was doing the Basic Settings of 011. While the system was switching from OFF to ON and back again, I could feel the engine shudder like a very fast and short term miss fire. It wasn't a smooth transition between OFF and ON.
That is Back Pressure acting up, this is what I was talking about , It should not do that .

Ramp Rat

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=374286
That is Back Pressure acting up, this is what I was talking about , It should not do that .

I ran the Basic Settings 011 and watched the vein actuator rod move. It moved the full travel smoothly with no hesitations. At 819/840 RPM (Idle) the engine is very smooth but, at 1407 RPM while running the Basic Settings the engine has a slight vibration when I put my hand on the valve cover. The best way I can describe it is like your hands would feel after having too much coffee. This vibration stayed constant even while the system went from OFF to ON and back. The movement of the veins made no difference in the way the engine felt. To me it seemed like a normal vibration you would feel from any engine that the RPM was increased. But, I’m not a TDI expert.
If the problem is a back pressure problem what could be causing it? Could it be slug buildup inside the intake manifold? Or, are you thinking something with the exhaust system?
Again, Thanks for your input.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
I ran the Basic Settings 011 and watched the vein actuator rod move. It moved the full travel smoothly with no hesitations. At 819/840 RPM (Idle) the engine is very smooth but, at 1407 RPM while running the Basic Settings the engine has a slight vibration when I put my hand on the valve cover. The best way I can describe it is like your hands would feel after having too much coffee. This vibration stayed constant even while the system went from OFF to ON and back. The movement of the veins made no difference in the way the engine felt. To me it seemed like a normal vibration you would feel from any engine that the RPM was increased. But, I’m not a TDI expert.
If the problem is a back pressure problem what could be causing it? Could it be slug buildup inside the intake manifold? Or, are you thinking something with the exhaust system?
Again, Thanks for your input.
It is hard to tell, but one thing what I mention before , your numbers are lower then I seen before in any of BRM.

Ramp Rat

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=374286
It is hard to tell, but one thing what I mention before , your numbers are lower then I seen before in any of BRM.

Interesting. I’m assuming that the low numbers could be an indication of the turbocharger wearing out. But, what about a restriction at the air filter? Reason I’m asking is that the other day I replace my air filter. I couldn’t find a Fram locally so I went with one made by STP. Could the STP filter have a lower flow rate than the Fram? I don’t think this would have anything to do with the stumble but wondering about the turbo numbers.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Interesting. I’m assuming that the low numbers could be an indication of the turbocharger wearing out. But, what about a restriction at the air filter? Reason I’m asking is that the other day I replace my air filter. I couldn’t find a Fram locally so I went with one made by STP. Could the STP filter have a lower flow rate than the Fram? I don’t think this would have anything to do with the stumble but wondering about the turbo numbers.
They both low quality filters, I never used them , USE only OEM like MANN , MAHLE or HENGST,same thing for A/C Cabin .
For Fuel filter ONLY MANN.

Ramp Rat

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=374286
They both low quality filters, I never used them , USE only OEM like MANN , MAHLE or HENGST,same thing for A/C Cabin .
For Fuel filter ONLY MANN.

I did have a Mann in before the change. I noticed that with the STP filter there seemed to be an increase in oil build up at the intake to the turbo coming from the breather tube at the valve cover. I don’t remember that much oil with the Mann. So, it will get changed out. (and no, I don't think it's because of blow by. I did a compression test a couple of months ago and all the cylinders were well with specs and were about 3% of each other).

I think you posted an answer to a question I put on the TDI Club board. Thank you. I’ll answer you and Oilhammer there.

Back