Battery registration

fraazz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=101765
I'm not sure if I'm in the right thread but here goes.

I've been looking around for an answer as to aftermarket battery registration. Very few batteries come with BEM codes, what are you all doing when it comes to this? I've talked with Reps from Interstate and Powersurge and they have no idea what I'm talking about. I know up here VW/Audi buy certain batteries from Interstate even. I've read about people changing certain numbers etc. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and not cause any uneeded issues.

fraazz

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@fraazz: Unlike Jefferson's famous adage about all men being created equal- this doesn't apply to vehicles!! So a necessary piece of information regarding your question is understanding what car is being referenced and more particularly what equipment is installed within the vehicle (the latter point goes to the matter of how the Energy Management system operates - if at all).

Other responses may provide further insights, but IMO, the answer starts with the existence (or not) of some form of battery monitoring module like this:
J5pbsSr.jpg

Ignore the yellow "gunk" in the picture - it's an anti-frosting spray that dealers use down here.

If a similar module is not installed on the negative battery terminal - then more than likely the car does not need to have the new battery details registered because the Energy Management system in the car is rudimentary.

If a similar module is installed and no BEM sticker is available on the new battery, my practice has been to change the adaptation channel entries that are known (like AHr rating and manufacture type) and alter the battery serial number. The actual serial number isn't important (the channel value for lots of factory-set serial numbers is simply a string of "ones") - what is important is that number is different from that used for the old battery. I believe (not found anything official to confirm my understanding) that changing the serial number resets the battery history information about the previous battery.

Don

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
what are you all doing when it comes to this?
It really depends on the car and how flexible its battery parameters are. On newer cars, you can tell the Gateway the exact Amp-Hour capacity, battery type, etc. On older ones, not so much.
I believe (not found anything official to confirm my understanding) that changing the serial number resets the battery history information about the previous battery.
I believe that to be correct; changing the serial number is what tells the module that a new battery has been installed. If the new battery has the same (or very close) electrical characteristics as the one being replaced, then from a purely functional perspective, that's all that is required.

-Uwe-

OEMplusCC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=160054
Good info. I have been wondering about the same as my wife's 2019 Tiguan MQB has BEM and its factory battery has the sticker with the code.
Surprisingly, a new factory battery is not that expensive. When the time comes I will probably buy it from VW and use VCDS to reprogram with the new code
$100 for a new battery in US is very cheap

Side question about BEM. I can start new thread if needed
Are there any adaptations in the BEM to tell the system that an audio amplifier is installed? I installed an aftermarket amplifier into the vehicle and always wonder if that makes a difference. The car does come with either Fender or Dynaudio amplifier on higher end trims. Of course OEM amplifier specification will not match an aftermarket...