Update to the VCDS software!

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
I was recently asked if I could code a second key to a VW Transporter and was unable. Given then that we are "Verified" members with "genuine" equipment traceable back to our front doors, would it not be possible to write into the software a function to program keys and modules when required! To know who has programmed what and when I could see a new generated code being recorded into the modules that is none erasable.

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
Could you clarify what you were trying to do? What vehicle? Code a new key to the remote locking or immobiliser?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Doesn't programming new keys on many vehicles required an exchange with the VAG corporate servers? - AFAIK something that VAG will not allow third-party software, including VCDS, to do.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Doesn't programming new keys on many vehicles required an exchange with the VAG corporate servers? - AFAIK something that VAG will not allow third-party software, including VCDS, to do.
Indeed, that's correct.

-Uwe-

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
I didn't actually try to program a key or immobiliser, I was simply asked if I could program the keys. I'd never seen anything in VCDS to carryout this service hence asking. It's okay for the manufacturer/agent to say that they will not release the data for such a service to be completed outside their networks, but what happens when somebody like me takes a vehicle to an approved dealer network for a none starting issue with an open cheque book and after two days they admit they can't diagnose the cause! This was a real world case a couple of weeks ago. I diagnosed the fault myself within one hour and required a new BCM, which needed programming thereafter. The management rang me after I wrote to them and appologised and issued me a complete refund for their charges. This to me is just one example where we require a government approved license as professional traders so we can have access to data when we require it, thus bypassing the dealerships. My customer was ready to scrap the car after their failed attempts, thus a few grand down the drain.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Here in the US, professionals can use VAG's own software running through a J2534 pass through tool. If the shop signs up, paying to have the full access, they can have all the data available to the dealership including the ability to program immo based items.

You have been told correctly that VAG will not permit 3rd parties access to their servers for information. Only their software if permitted to do so.

The subscription to use their software has to be renewed each year. The cost in the US last I checked was $750 for VW, $750 for Audi, much higher for Bentley. I don't know the policies in the UK but you could certainly look into it if your volume justifies the costs.

The J2534 pass through tools cost around $2k+. I believe they are a one time buy.

The Right to Repair Act in the USA forced this implementation by all OEs. In theory, they must allow professionals and others to buy access to their tools and documentation - the same tools and documentation available to the dealer. I don't know if that access was granted in other countries.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I know there are provisions for approved independent shops to access GeKo/FAZIT via ODIS in the UK as well. The question is whether the initial investment and ongoing subscription fees actually make sense for any particular shop.

-Uwe-