Sold a pirate VCDS!!

IanP

Pirate
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/SN
Hi, I’ve just been told that I’ve been sold a used VCDS which isn’t what it was claimed of be by the seller. I even managed to register with Ross-Tech using the embedded serial number, so I’m rather shocked to be blocked from the forum. I’ll happily buy a genuine device, but when offered the chance to buy genuine ‘used’ I didn’t see a problem.

Please could you explain how I was able to register the serial number of the device and get as far as I did? I need to be able to return my purchase, so some evidence that it isn’t genuine would be handy.

Many Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What do you mean by, "even managed to register with Ross-Tech"?

Signing up for the forum is not the same as being "registered with Ross-Tech". ;)

E-mail a photo of the interface ("cable" or "lead") you received, as many details about the purchase as possible to Sales@Ross-Tech.com and we'll provide a letter stating it's a fake.

-Uwe-

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
I’ve been sold a used VCDS which isn’t what it was claimed of be by the seller.

Hopefully you used a CC for your purchase ; you typically have 90 days to report your concern with the CC bank. Save the add or the listing as they may wish to see the notice of the item (ie the advertisement) stating that the product was genuine. That along with RT's letter should get you a full refund. IF the former does not exist, call the CC bank anyway as they usually freeze the payment until the dispute is resolved.

It is also helpful to let the forum know how you made out with the refund!

IanP

Pirate
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/SN
Fell for a storyline. It allegedly came from a Covid victim’s relative who claimed it was genuine but knew nothing else about it, so thought I was doing the right thing in recycling it. Having now read some other posts I see that’s not welcomed.
I’m trying with my bank but won’t hold my breath because although it appears as *PayPal*on bank statement it’s not appeared on my actual Paypal statement so can’t pursue it directly with them. The item has somehow been deleted since I purchased it, so communications are blocked almost as if it never existed! All very strange.
Anyway, here’s a photo. Any evidence I can send the bank will be useful.

Attachments

• 0CF044AD-6B2F-4E76-A258-0699D3D07D24.jpeg
    0CF044AD-6B2F-4E76-A258-0699D3D07D24.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 23

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
^^^^ Completely obvious fake.

E-mail a photo of the interface ("cable" or "lead") you received, as many details about the purchase as possible to Sales@Ross-Tech.com and we'll provide a letter stating it's a fake.
-Uwe-

OEMplusCC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=160054
maaan those Chinese clones have zero shame replicating logo, fonts and everything. I remember when older HEX+CAN interfaces were faked at least it was an "obvious" fake(different label font, no label or no logo).
Now, the new clones are pretty close to a genuine unit. :mad:

Well thats why I only buy from approved distributors (shout-out to europaparts.com :) )

OEMplusCC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=160054
Just a thought. Would it be worth starting a thread with Serial Numbers that are known fakes? I have seen some clones on internet that do not say simply 000000 but have an actual number.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Just a thought. Would it be worth starting a thread with Serial Numbers that are known fakes? I have seen some clones on internet that do not say simply 000000 but have an actual number.
As Uwe said in response to that suggestion in another thread that will just up the whack-a-mole stakes with the scammers knowing what serial number NOT to use.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556

What’s covered with PayPal Purchase Protection​

• You bought a book, but received a DVD
  • You bought an item described as “new,” but received something that was used
  • You purchased 3 items, but only received 2
  • The item was damaged during shipping
  • The item is missing major parts (that the seller didn’t report)
  • You purchased an item described as authentic, but received a knockoff instead
Purchase Protection covers all eligible purchases where PayPal is used, as well as payments made through our website. To take advantage of Purchase Protection, we require, among other things, that PayPal accounts be kept in good standing and ask that a dispute be filed within 180 days of your purchase or payment.

Dispute resolution​

If there’s a problem with a transaction, we’ll put a hold on the funds until the issue is resolved. We investigate and stay involved every step of the way.

The above info is from the link below.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
As Uwe said in response to that suggestion in another thread that will just up the whack-a-mole stakes with the scammers knowing what serial number NOT to use.
Well, H10-000000 is so well known as a fake now that we even meme'd it a couple of years ago:

obPaDoV.jpg

:D

-Uwe-