Traffic Sign Recognition on Canadian Audi A3

dr_torch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=442284

Well that was fun - at least I know I can do long coding now. Unfortunately I get "Traffic sign recognition currently limited". If I leave it on fusion mode then I will sometimes get the speed coming from the GPS unit (but in the European format).

So I agree with the people that say that the camera is not set up for the road signs. The A4's in Canada can be equipped with road sign recognition so I suspect that when the camera is installed Audi pushes some firmware to it so that it can understand the signs. This is the bit that is missing and I am not overly sure how to get that.

Anyway - at least this has been a learning experience so far.

dr_torch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=442284
Try hexA5 module:
  • IDE10870-Switch-on condition: lane depart. warn. set value to off (setting via menu)
  • IDE10873-BAP personalization set value to activated
Don
PS: setting IDE10407 to "last setting" means that Lane Assist will remember the ON/OFF status on the subsequent ignition cycle

I can confirm these setting are the same as I have and I still have no MMI menu for this. It's not the end of the world though as I prefer "early" anyway.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404

Well that was fun - at least I know I can do long coding now. Unfortunately I geWell done!! Then you have passed the initiation- then you have been "blooded"

Well-done, How does it feel to be fully fledged Long-coder?

My understanding of the 3 x operational modes for TSR is:
  • Electronic Horizon: This option uses the traffic speed information that is embedded in the navigation data
  • Road Sign Detection: This option uses the traffic speed information captured by the camera. So - the displayed speed limit is set by the last detected traffic sign and it is not refreshed until a new compliant road sign is registered. Also, I think that in this mode "city signs" and "credit turns" are not detected - but I could be mistaken
  • Road Sign Fusion -This option uses an amalgam of both navigation and detected road signs; the decision as to which speed limit to display is made by a software algorithm. This is factory default setting
I can confirm these setting are the same as I have and I still have no MMI menu for this. It's not the end of the world though as I prefer "early" anyway.
OK: I suspect that it means that "active" Lane Assist (which is the steering part of Lane assist) ain't activated in the MMI - maybe? So, go to the hex5F module - and check these adaptation channels (you may need a SA - use the magic number 20103)
  • ENG122227-ENG125805-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_lane_assistant > activated
  • ENG122227-ENG125807-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_lane_assistant_over_threshold_high > activated
Don

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

dr_torch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=442284
Good morning @DV52 - thanks for the follow up.

Long coding was less scary than I thought. I just made sure to copy / paste the current value first before making changes, but the long coding helper is really good and makes things easy.

I assume if I set the operational mode to "Electronic Horizon" then I would get the speed information from the navigation data on the dash which would be the same as what I see on the MMI screen. The navigation data is good at getting speed limits on major roads but seems to have no data for small streets. What would be nice with the camera is if it could see smaller street speed limits that are set at 30 km/h around here and it would just be a nice reminder on the dash to slow down.

I've not given up but I think I need to look into camera parametrization next and I am not yet sure where to start looking for that.

Code:
ENG122227-ENG125805-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_lane_assistant > activated
ENG122227-ENG125807-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_lane_assistant_over_threshold_high > activated

These are the current values that are set :) There must be a setting to display this in the MMI somewhere right? Unless Audi has removed this completely from this software version?

Have a good weekend! Cheers!

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I assume if I set the operational mode to "Electronic Horizon" then I would get the speed information from the navigation data on the dash which would be the same as what I see on the MMI screen. The navigation data is good at getting speed limits on major roads but seems to have no data for small streets. What would be nice with the camera is if it could see smaller street speed limits that are set at 30 km/h around here and it would just be a nice reminder on the dash to slow down.
I tend to agree with @darkchina811 -the VAG version of TSR is more trouble than it's worth! In my experience (and even if it detects a speed-sign) it's often wrong, or it displays an error message.

Truth is that the functionality of native SATNAV systems in these cars (luxury, or not) is appalling compared to third-party alternatives- and the cost is outrageous!!

I'm not sure about Canada, but down here in the Antipodes, I find waze to be much better at telling me the speed limits on minor roads (I rely on the App almost exclusively these days)!!

Don

dr_torch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=442284
Hey, fair enough - I totally get what you are saying. I guess from my point of view it would just be cool to get it to read the road signs :) It's beginning to turn into a bit of a mission now haha

So - out of curiously - if I could find a way to parameterize the camera to read the Canadian road signs then I could get this to work?

If so - how would one go about doing that? ;)

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@dr_torch: hmm..... this is your second mention of the term "parameterize" - I didn't understand its use the first time, but now I think that I know how you intended to use the word.

So, when folk refer to "parametrize" a newly installed module, they usually mean the process of changing some aspect of that module's firmware to make it compatible with the existing software on the car's operating system. This can include (but is certainly not limited to) establishing initial set-up calibrations).

With respect to TSR - and if my understanding of your countryman's comment in my post #19 is correct- the problem in Canada is that your road signs are not compatible with the protocols required by Advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS), which is the basis for TSR. Again, according to your countryman, the particular issue is the shape of Canadian traffic signs. If this is true, and unless Audi has written a version of the camera software that particularly accommodates Canada's traffic signs (very unlikely IMO), the parameterize option isn't going to work- alas.

And in any event, VCDS can't be used to parameterize module software

Don

dr_torch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=442284
Thanks for the reply @DV52.

You are correct in my use of parametrization. Indeed my belief is that the firmware loaded onto the camera cannot recognize a traffic sign from an elephant (not that I get that many of those either here).

The Canadian A4 has an option for an Advanced Driver Assistant Package which includes the following:

• Adaptive cruise control with Stop&Go
  • Active lane assist
  • Traffic sign recognition
  • Traffic congestion assist
  • Audi pre sense front
  • Hands-on Detection

As you can see - my car has all of these except for the traffic sign recognition, traffic congestion assist (so called traffic jam assist across the pond) and hands-on detection.

The hands on detection is a capacitive steering wheel as far as I know where mine detects small inputs to decide whether you are trying to let the car drive itself or not. But it matters not as I don't care about that :)

I would like both the traffic sign recognition and the traffic congestion assist.

Since it's an option on the A4 it leads me to believe that this camera has different kinds of firmware, perhaps one that reads the road markings (for the lane assist) and one that reads the road markings AND the traffic signs?

In any event - is there some other software that can update the firmware for the camera (assuming that it is available) or is that only something the dealer can do? I'm assuming the dealer will not want to do this anyway even if they can since they can upsell me to an A4 - which is a bit too much money to spend for this particular project :)

Cheers!

dr_torch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=442284
dr_torch: Of course your Canadian cars are not the same as our Aussie vehicles and notwithstanding that your cars oddly have their steering wheel on the not-correct (i.e. not-right) side - doesn't your MY19 A3 have this MMI screen?

tjIdasq.jpg

The setting that the driver selects in "Steering Input" does the same as the long-code switches - and whilst I haven't personally checked - I suspect that it actually makes the Bit change that you made via VCDS.

dON

So I found this. For future reference:

Module A5, long coding, Byte 14, bits 5-7 change to Point of intervention early, (setting via menu).

On NAR models it shows up as Steering correction instead of Steering input but the function seems to be the same :)