Sorting Out Available Modules for 2003 Passat

flynvfr

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=442004
I’m eager to purchase a copy of VCDS, but trying to decide between registered Lite vs full-featured. I'm leaning towards Lite due to the age of my vehicle; 2003 Passat GLS 1.8T with manual transmission. Using the Lite shareware I can connect to modules/addresses 01, 03, 15, 17, 19, 25, 46, and 56. I wanted to ask if there are any forum members that have the same or similar car that can confirm my address list is complete. I ask because I found a post where an owner of the same car was able to connect to a module for the steering wheel, address 16. But I can’t. I realize it could be that my car doesn't have that module. But the discrepancy has wondering if the interface I'm using (w/ FTDI FT232RL chipset) is revealing its weakness.

Also, if anyone thinks I would benefit from the full-featured version, even considering the age of the vehicle I'd be servicing, I certainly welcome the input.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
This is the full list of all modules possibile in the 3B Passat:

Just because it is possible, does not mean that your car was configured to have all of these.

My guess is that if you see all the others, then you do not have a diagnostic capable steering wheel module.

Seems VCDS-Lite in shareware mode is working fine.

flynvfr

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=442004
Doh! Thanks....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I wanted to ask if there are any forum members that have the same or similar car that can confirm my address list is complete.
The problem is that a "similar" car may not have been equipped with the same packages / options, and some control modules will only be present if they are required by the optional equipment in question.

I found a post where an owner of the same car was able to connect to a module for the steering wheel, address 16. But I can’t.
As a general rule, cars of that vintage only had a Steering Wheel Control module at address 16 if they had a mullti-function steering wheel; i.e. one with buttons or other controls in the steering wheel itself.

the discrepancy has wondering if the interface I'm using (w/ FTDI FT232RL chipset) is revealing its weakness.
IMO, short of a physical serial port (good luck finding a computer with such a thing these days!), that's the best setup for VCDS-Lite. Have you adjusted the Latency Timer as shown here?

-Uwe-

flynvfr

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=442004
Thanks for the added insight Uwe. Yep, set latency as shown. Thanks again!