Audi A6 C5, power windows strange behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pr0llie

Unverified
Reaction score
So I have a 1999 Audi A6 quattro Avant (Norwegian/European model, LHD), with power windows acting up. I've been reading up for weeks, and checked pretty much anything I could think off and come across, and conferred with several other forums for a long time. I'm at the point where I'm just about to give up - but I would very much like to hear what the more competent people here have to say first.

All 4 windows are moving only 2-3 inches at a time, then they stop. Behavior is the same going up and down, and wether operated from driver master or respective door switch. Short tug or holding makes no apparent difference. Same behavior if operated by holding lock/unlock on key FOB. At a few occations, the rear windows would completely stop responding to for 10-15-20 seconds. Movement is smooth, and when it stops it does not retract - suggesting it is not the "pinch safety" somehow triggered (?). Stuck a folded blanket in the window to test, and when triggered - the "pinch safety" does indeed stop and retract the window. I've inspected gliders and regulators, door wiring loom etc, all seem sound. Had the carpet out to theck the Comfort (control) module, seems this car don't have one. The box in the floor contained what could identify by part number as the [35] Central Locks module. Box, contacts, plugs, module circuit board and components inspected - all sound and bone dry. Visual inspection of under-carpet loom and connectors, show no signs of moisture or corrosion.

Some say visuals say more than a thousand words, so -here- is a 30-second video clip of window operation.

The only (partly potential) issues with car/wiring I know about - I mention here just in case one might rely on the other. Most of these have been successfully diagnosed, just haven't gotten to fix/replace the respective part(s) yet:

• Driver seat, bottom cushion heater element broken/no continuity.
  • Driver door, side mirror heater element broken/no continuity (checked at mirror connector, loom checked and in sound condition).
  • One or more fuel senders reporting incorrect resistance. (Have not pulled all 3 out of tank for inspection, fix and/or replacement yet - waiting for new tank seals)
  • Passenger rear door lock reports "01562 59-00 Can't Unlock" and "01562 61-00 Won't De-Safe". Operates normally, but door courtesy light and instrument panel doesn't register when door is opened. (Suspect broken micro-switch in lock mecanism).
  • Car is European spec 1999, thus no OBD2/EOBD, nor can-bus. Just K-line. All modules communicate on KW1281 protocol).
  • Car has aftermarket Pioneer stereo, stock passive speakers. Wired by adapter, no splicing. No K-line connected to stereo loom/adapter. Option sheet says stock radio was "RCD 4002".

Just in case it shows anything relevant, here's an auto-scan log.

Code:
Friday,03,April,2015,13:11:10:25704
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator
VCDS Version: 14.10.2.0 (x64)
Data version: 20150311
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: WAUZZZ4BZXN055772   License Plate:
Mileage: 165023   Repair Order: 

Chassis Type: 4B - Audi A6 C5 (1998 > 2006)
Scan: 01 02 03 06 08 15 16 17 18 22 34 35 36 37 45 55 56 57 65 67
          75 76 77

VIN: WAUZZZ4BZXN055772   
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine        Labels: 078-907-552-AMM.lbl
   Part No: 4B0 907 552 C
   Component: 2.4L V6/5V  MOTR HS D05  
   Coding: 04202
   Shop #: WSC 00785  
   VCID: 25411716BF410B36C75-4B36

No fault code found.
Readiness: N/A

Address 03: ABS Brakes        Labels: 8E0-614-111-EDS.lbl
   Part No: 8E0 614 111 A
   Component: ABS/EDS 5.3 QUATTRO D00  
   Shop #: BB 24334  
   VCID: 1C3732F28C0BCAFE68B-515E

No fault code found.

Address 08: Auto HVAC        Labels: 4B0-820-043-MY1.lbl
   Part No: 4B0 820 043 J
   Component: A6-Klimavollautomat D64  
   Coding: 00060
   Shop #: WSC 00785  
   VCID: 21490306AB69E716BBD-25AE

No fault code found.

Address 15: Airbags        Labels: 4B0-959-655-AI8.lbl
   Part No: 4B0 959 655 G
   Component: Airbag Front+Seite 0001  
   Coding: 00206
   Shop #: WSC 02324  
   VCID: 3467FA52049B62BE40B-51D4

No fault code found.

Address 17: Instruments        Labels: 4B0-919-xxx-17.lbl
   Part No: 4B0 919 880 H
   Component: C5-KOMBIINSTR. VDO D10   
   Coding: 05162
   Shop #: WSC 00940  
   VCID: 3169F346FB8957962BD-5198

Subsystem 1 - Part No: IMMO
   Component: IDENTNR: AUZ7Z0W0780423         
   IMMO-IDENTNR: AUZ7Z0W0780423       

No fault code found.

Address 35: Centr. Locks        Labels: 4B0-962-258.lbl
   Part No: 4B0 962 258 E
   Component: Zentralverrieg.,DWA D32  
   Coding: 04683
   Shop #: WSC 00380  
   VCID: 2B55E12ED9A53D46111-4F3E

2 Faults Found:
01562 - Rear Right Door 
            59-00 - Can't Unlock
01562 - Rear Right Door 
            61-00 - Won't De-Safe

Address 45: Inter. Monitor        Labels: 4B0-951-173.lbl
   Part No: 4B0 951 173 
   Component: Innenraumueberw.    D03  
   Coding: 00002
   Shop #: WSC 02325  
   VCID: E0CFC60260E32E1E743-4B82

No fault code found.

Small note: According to some resources here @ Ross-Tech, the coding for 45 Interior Monitor, suggest the car is coded for for (3-door?) Audi A3/8L..? Could this be related? And if so, can this unit be recoded? I have not experienced any alarm issues.

Reactions: Uwe

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Have you tried resetting the pinch protection on each window in turn? Close window to the top, click to close again and hold the button until you hear the motor cut out.

I also (can't for the life of me where I read it though) read somewhere that there is either a coding or adaptation value where the windows will do exactly that; move just a few inches at a time. I'm sorry I can't remember where though.

pr0llie

Unverified
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting the pinch protection on each window in turn? Close window to the top, click to close again and hold the button until you hear the motor cut out.
I haven't tried doing this on all the doors separately. I'm in the process of putting the whole thing back together after pulling the floor carpet, will definitely try when reassembled.

I also (can't for the life of me where I read it though) read somewhere that there is either a coding or adaptation value where the windows will do exactly that; move just a few inches at a time. I'm sorry I can't remember where though.
THIS ^^ - Hopefully someone can chime in on this. Might be a long-shot, but it might also be just the ticket.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Coding of 04683 is:

+1 - Rear Lid/Tailgate Unlocking active
+2 - Anti-Theft-System Confirmation (via Turn Signals)
+8 - Anti-Theft-System installed
+64 - Comfort Operation via Remote Control active
+512 - Locking Conformation via Remote Control (1x Turn Signals) active
+4096 - Unlocking Conformation via Remote Control (2x Turn Signals) active

That seems entirely reasonable to me.

I'm not aware of any adaptation channels in that module except channel 21, which is used to program remotes.

-Uwe-

pr0llie

Unverified
Reaction score
Coding of 04683 is:

+1 - Rear Lid/Tailgate Unlocking active
+2 - Anti-Theft-System Confirmation (via Turn Signals)
+8 - Anti-Theft-System installed
+64 - Comfort Operation via Remote Control active
+512 - Locking Conformation via Remote Control (1x Turn Signals) active
+4096 - Unlocking Conformation via Remote Control (2x Turn Signals) active

That seems entirely reasonable to me.

I'm not aware of any adaptation channels in that module except channel 21, which is used to program remotes.

-Uwe-

Thank you good Sir :) - I couldn't find a confirmable source - would +1024 be horn/blip confirmation for arming alarm?

Could the 00002 coding of the Interior Monitoring (which at first sight, referring to coding information on this site, corresponds to an A3, Avant) - have any influence on central locks, window operation or such? - or has this coding been seen on a A4/A6 (avant) before? Thinking as this A6 was delivered 31.12.1998, both car and Int. Monitor module would logically pre-date the introduction of 5-door A3 models. So if 3rd digit is [0] for Audi A3 (8L) and [1] for Audi A4 (8D) / Audi A6 (4B), 5th digit is [1] for Sedan and [2] for Avant... in my mind, a coding of 00002 - would be "configuration" for a 3-door Avant (hatchback cupè)?

pr0llie

Unverified
Reaction score
To shortly answer myself for future forume reference - I tried changing the coding for the Interior Monitor module to 00102 - have not experienced any change in behavior.

Reactions: Uwe

pr0llie

Unverified
Reaction score
Just experienced something today - and its a bit embarrassing as I've had the car for 4 months. Its the first time I've tried to operate the central locking by key, not FOB.

When operating the driver door lock (only one with a key-slot), nothing happens - what so ever - not even if I hold it to the side. It does spring back vertical when if I let go of the key. Even when locking/arming by fob - nothing happens when operating the door by key. Not even the driver door unlocks.

When pushing unlock by FOB (wether it is actually locked or not), I hear all the actuators jog twice. Might be normal, but I have nothing to compare with.

Its the same with both keys/fobs I have.

pr0llie

Unverified
Reaction score
Update:

Pulled out the window motors - their behavior is the same when out (no load). In situ, with the window and regulator loading the motor - I'm only seeing a 0.3V voltage drop across the motor power supply terminals (engine not running), while operating. When not connected to the regulator, voltage drop is neglible.

Is there any way for me, or someone with the right resources available - to help me identify the part number for the original central locking module for this car? I'm starting to suspect the module in my car to be a 2nd hand unit, and not the appropriate one. National Audi/VAG dealer will not give me the part number by policy, just price quote. VIN and any other requested detail by PM, I'd rather not post that on an idexed, public forum.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VIN and any other requested detail by PM, I'd rather not post that on an idexed, public forum.
I'm confused. You posted a complete Auto-Scan including the VIN of the car in the first post of this thread. :confused:

-Uwe-

pr0llie

Unverified
Reaction score
I'm confused. You posted a complete Auto-Scan including the VIN of the car in the first post of this thread. :confused:
I completely forgot about the VIN being part of the scan-log :) Oh well, by now it is most likely index'ed. If anything else is needed, in the case someone can access this information (if its even available) - just let me know.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yeah, I'd like to know if you're still using the pirated VCDS you posted the first scan from, a fact that I managed to miss at the time due to some sneaky editing you did.

-Uwe-

pr0llie

Unverified
Reaction score
Pardon? I didn't do the auto-scan, a colleague that works part time at the local Audi/VW dealership did. He posted the scan to me on facebook. I borrowed his Siemens "garage-computer" with the cable to try the Interior Monitor-code though. I didn't exactly think to do any hard-core software/hardware-verification things, I was rather preoccupied with following instructions as to not do something wrong. I find it hard to believe a VAG mechanic wouldn't have his VAG equipment in order. I don't have a full VCDS capable interface myself yet, that's why I posted in the "General VW/Audi Repair" section and am an "unverified" member.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It doesn't take "hard-core software/hardware-verification" to see a major version number discrepancy. The header of your scan claims it was done with version 14.10.2, but the data in the body of the scan is from a substantially earlier version.

I think we're done here.

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back