Absent memory - might be helpful to others?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I've had lots of interesting interactions with professional workshop folk that use VCDS, but a not uncommon topic of discussion since HEX-NET was first released is the number of times that staff forget to remove the dongle before the client collects his/her vehicle. Many use HEX-NET without the cable connection for convenience and on lots of VAG model cars, the OBD port faces down towards the floor-pan. These factors are the principal contributors to the problem

Of course the forgetfulness of staff is not a criticism of the product (it's clearly a breach of workshop protocol) - however, retrieval of an expensive and critical tool can be a not-insignificant nuisance to workshop operations.

Anyhow, I'm not a professional and I thought nothing more of the problem until last week when I did exactly the same thing! It was entirely my fault and unfortunately the car owner lived across town (because it was my error, I collected the dongle).

So- I vowed never to repeat my error and to help with my new conviction, I added a very simple modification to my VCDS dongle like this:

cuSxss9.jpg

As I have said, this is very simple mod - with parts sourced from my junk-box. I then connect a lanyard to key-ring which hangs down as a visual prompt that the dongle is still connected. The contraption also aids in the removal of the dongle (not that this is a big problem without the mod)

Yes, I need a screwdriver in those instances when I need to connect the USB cable - it would be better if I could find a small M3 screw with a knurled head that held the solder-lug captive, but this ain't a big issue.

Anyhow - I present the idea in the hope that it helps others to not commit my mistake!!

Don

PS: further suggestion - my lanyard now has my return contact details (crudely) written in big font

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
That's cool, except it blocks the access to the screw-lock USB cable.

What's wrong with the lanyard pin on the corner of the HEX-NET?

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@Uwe: absolutely nothing wrong with your suggestion - achieves the same objective (without the screw impediment)!!

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
If we could ever find a lanyard the boss would like, we would probably supply these... 5 years... he still has not found one acceptable! :banghead::facepalm:

Usually it takes 7 years for something to grow on him. Some things like fat old men take longer.. near 30 years and he's still undecided! (Mostly he asks himself, why the hell did I ever bring that one here?) :D

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If we could ever find a lanyard the boss would like, we would probably supply these... 5 years... he still has not found one acceptable! :banghead:
Huh? At some point, you guys showed me this one and I said I liked it just fine. In fact, I like it well enough that I have it on several of my HEX-NETs.

RedLanyard.jpg

Didn't we place an order for them? I have like 20 of them and I don't see how I would have gotten them any other way.

Maybe @Santos ordered them for show give-aways and has been bogarting them?

-Uwe-

PS: Not sure why this is in Forum Support & Feedback. Moving to the Bar.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Huh? At some point, you guys showed me this one and I said I liked it just fine. In fact, I like it well enough that I have it on several of my HEX-NETs.

View attachment 1637

Didn't we place an order for them? I have like 20 of them and I don't see how I would have gotten them any other way.

-Uwe-

PS: Not sure why this is in Forum Support & Feedback. Moving to the Bar.
I believe we still have thousands of them in the storage room. @Mike R will know where they are at.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
So why didn't we add these to our package to give out? Were we only using them for shows Santos?

Since we ain't doing shows, who wants one?

And shouldn't we start putting them in HN boxes with the product? Ain't suggesting we attach them 'cause I am sure some will not want them. Let the user decide.

Mike R

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Administrator
VCDS Distributor
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=126524
I believe we still have thousands of them in the storage room. @Mike R will know where they are at.
We were never instructed to do anything with them.

If need be I think we can include it in a package with the HN, but attaching is is very time consuming, and not all customers may want to use it so it'd be something some may remove anyways.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
One word of caution with these lanyards, be careful if you have a manual transmission. Don't tangle up your clutch foot.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
"Bogarting"? Never heard the term before (presumably an American-ism). Just looked-it-up - what an excellent word!!

bogart:to selfishly take or keep something; to hog; especially to hold a joint (marijuana) dangling between the lips instead of passing it on. Dude, don't bogart the chocolate fudge! Don't bogart the can, man. (slang) To get something by bullying, intimidation; be a tough guy.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Late 1960s:

:cool:

-Uwe-

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Yes, I need a screwdriver in those instances when I need to connect the USB cable - it would be better if I could find a small M3 screw with a knurled head that held the solder-lug captive, but this ain't a big issue.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@stefdds: Many thanks for your kindness in finding the eBay provider - alas they don't deliver to Australia. Apparently we are on another planet in 21st century :confused:. Or maybe US providers can't accommodate Australia's new Goods and Services Tax (GST) laws that require the seller to collect the tax and return the amount to our tax office!!

Anyhow, based on your response I was able to source similar knurled screws from China (and pay GST)- again, much appreciated!!!

Don

Last edited:
Back