1.6 tdi dead after being off rd for 12mts

auzo63

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=436676
Following a 12 month off road period due to Coronavirus lockdown, my Golf 1.6tdi 2012 firstly had a locked up gear shifter so I replaced the seized part.

When starting the car, got an oil pressure error (can't remember low or high), and the engine cut off. Tried connecting a computer to check for faults, can't find the car or kept getting connection error, checked the port, power comes, checked fuses, relays everything okay. I have tried multiple scanners and purchased a genuine VCDS but none will connect.

VCDS Shows:

Scan: Auto-detect
Function not supported by the gateway.
End.......(Elapses Time: 00:02, VBatt start/end: 12.4V/12.4V)......

Have two faults on the dash when the ignition is on:
The button for driver assistance system defective,
Brake fault: workshop

Random electrics do not work like electric windows, indicators, buttons on steering wheel etc..

Any help would be amazing.

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
Have you tried to disconnect the minus (negative) battery terminal e.g. for 15 minutes and then tried again...

auzo63

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=436676
Have you tried to disconnect the minus (negative) battery terminal e.g. for 15 minutes and then tried again...
One of the first things I did was to remove the battery and charge it overnight off the vehicle.

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
Alright. Getaway does not respond, did you try clicking on [Select] from the main screen, to see how many installed modules VCDS will see.

auzo63

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=436676
Alright. Getaway does not respond, did you try clicking on [Select] from the main screen, to see how many installed modules VCDS will see.
I tried an auto scan with no success. Then I tried to scan all items manually also with no success.

auzo63

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=436676
check fuses, check power relays, then check power to gateway, then panic. until then, search for culprits and bandits in your car.
I pulled all fuses and relays and none faulty

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@auzo63 : I suspect the Auto-detect function in VCDS isn't working on your model car - maybe? Try this instead:
  1. Fire-up VCDS and depending on the version you have, connect to the dongle/cable.
  2. Select Autoscan from the main screen
  3. On the screen below, click on the down-arrow under "Select chassis"
    autoscan-1.png
  4. Look through the list of chassis types and select the closest to your MY12 Golf - I suggest chassis 5K, or AJ.
  5. try the auto-scan process again
Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I suspect the Auto-detect function in VCDS isn't working on your model car - maybe?
On a 2012 Golf, it certainly should. Possible reasons it wouldn't:
* Problem with Gateway (defective, or no power to it).
* Problem with wiring between Gateway and DLC
* Problem with DLC itself.

I do not think manual chassis entry will accomplish anything because all diagnostic comms on that car go through the gateway, so if VCDS can't talk to the Gateway, it won't be able to talk to anything at all.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
OP should check for water ingress by visual inspection and observe the gateway directly for all terminal DIN's for 30/15, wake and 31 in addition to twisted sets for segregated High/Lows as per WD.

I would start with checking all fuses and battery connections!

Andymod

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=33054
Has your golf had a windscreen replacement at any time?.
Usually get water leaking directly onto the gateway connector filling the unit with water. Remove the wiper arms, scuttle trims and wiper rack. You will then see a small black cover secured by 3x 10mm nuts. Remove this and you will see the gateway control unit.

auzo63

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=436676
Has your golf had a windscreen replacement at any time?.
Usually get water leaking directly onto the gateway connector filling the unit with water. Remove the wiper arms, scuttle trims and wiper rack. You will then see a small black cover secured by 3x 10mm nuts. Remove this and you will see the gateway control unit.
OMG you hit the nail on the head..

I have not had the windscreen replaced but while the vehicle was parked up outside for 18mts moss grew around the windows and must have let water onto the Canbus unit as you said.

The unit is toast and the plug has a little corrosion on it witch i will try and clean off.

Am I right in thinking if I get a used Canbus from an identical vehicle same engine same trim level same year etc it will be plug and play?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Am I right in thinking if I get a used Canbus from an identical vehicle same engine same trim level same year etc it will be plug and play?
On a 2012 Golf, yes, I think so. I don't think the engine needs to be the same either. You may need to do some tweaking of the Installation list and perhaps even the module's coding, but that's all fairly straightforward.

-Uwe-

auzo63

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=436676
I have replaced and programmed the new Canbus and the car is good as new! (I wrapped the new Canbus in a plastic bag with cable ties to waterproof it!)

I am so happy as I was going to have to scrap the car and I still have £2500. owing on finance!

I can now sell it and clear the finance so it will make such a great difference to my finances, I was made redundant from my job in November last year and have had to pay the £240.00 per month finance payments on a car that has not run for now over 18mts! So it was really becoming a great burden.

Many thanks to everyone who posted replies and helped with diagnosing the issue, especially Andymod you are a star many many thanks.

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@auzo63:Hi. Hope your financial situation improves soon!

Apropos of your "plastic bag" solution, and with absolutely no intended criticism - I'm not sure that this is will have good long-term benefits. I've seen a few variations of these types of attempts to water proof modules with mixed results.

If the physical implementation is done well - I guess it could work in theory. However, if the environment around the module is water-prone, my observation has been that plastic bag solutions perversely can tend to capture and hold moisture in a kind-of condensation state. Result can be that rather than protecting the module, the solution can promote corrosion !!

Not saying that this will happen in your case - just sharing my observations!!

Don

auzo63

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=436676
@auzo63:Hi. Hope your financial situation improves soon!

Apropos of your "plastic bag" solution, and with absolutely no intended criticism - I'm not sure that this is will have good long-term benefits. I've seen a few variations of these types of attempts to water proof modules with mixed results.

If the physical implementation is done well - I guess it could work in theory. However, if the environment around the module is water-prone, my observation has been that plastic bag solutions perversely can tend to capture and hold moisture in a kind-of condensation state. Result can be that rather than protecting the module, the solution can promote corrosion !!

Not saying that this will happen in your case - just sharing my observations!!

Don
Good observation, I intend it to be a very temporary measure until I can get the windscreen replaced.

Back