DAB Firmware Update Problems

Lotus26R

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm trying to fix a problem on my A5 Cabrio - the DAB radio has stopped working so I tried re-installing the firmware (I did this back in November and all was 100%).

This time I get an error when the update reaches ARU9440/DAB/App - it loads to 49% but no further. The update reports an error updating ARU944:0 - code 131. The update to version 0x3030a was not completed.

The question is: Can VCDS help me to update/programme/code this particular item - or identify a dodgy component that's causing the problem.

Thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS can tell you if the infotainment system has faults. It can code modules and change adaptation channels. It cannot do firmware updates.

-Uwe-

Lotus26R

Reaction score
Thanks Uwe - one more question if I may: If (for example) my DAB antenna amplifier has a problem (which I could identify using VCDS), is it possible that that component would not accept the firmware update? I guess I'm asking is where is the "firmware" that I'm trying to update - is it in the MMI system itself or is it located in the dodgy component?

Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I doubt a bad antenna amplifier would cause a firmware update failure, but I'm by no means certain of this either.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@Lotus26R: Hi.

Hmm....... why do you believe that the (sudden?) loss of DAB was related to a firmware problem? I'm not familiar with the A5, but there are lots of other possible (and, perhaps more likely) reasons for this fault - like failure of the DAB aerial due to water ingress (depending on where the aerial module is fitted in a A5 Cabrio).

Notwithstanding @Uwe advice (about VCDS not able to help with firmware), if you intend to fix this problem yourself (and if you intend to undertake your own repairs in the future), it might be prudent to get a GOOD diagnostic tool that is actually able to read the car's fault data. This at least enables you to pin-point the general area of the problem. For obvious reasons, of course VCDS would be the prime candidate for such a purchase, but there are other devices (each of which has their own advantages and disadvantages).

Don

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I doubt a bad antenna amplifier would cause a firmware update failure, but I'm by no means certain of this either.

-Uwe-
Uwe: I suspect you might be confusing "cause-and-effect" - read the back story for this case HERE

Last edited:

Lotus26R

Reaction score
Hi Don - Thanks for coming back to me - and researching how I came to be here in the first place.

It was a sudden failure - one moment my wife was listening to DAB, there was a "ping" (her words) and the DAB was no more. It's not worked since. I did what I could (rebooted MMI, reset radio to factory, searched for loose wires etc) and then scanned using an iCarsoft scanner I had from a previous life. That pointed me towards a mapping/firmware update that I'd done back in November with no problems (all elements loaded and confirmed OK)

I thought I'd try to run the firmware update again and it snagged on the ARU/9440/DAB/App element - stopped at 49% and would go no further. I retried many times but no change.

In my mind, as everything else seemed to work fine, this pointed to the signal side - either DAB antenna or amplifier. These are both in the clamshell/tonneau on the cabrio and don't seem to have been waterlogged (no leaks, no sign of corrosion or tracking etc).

The antenna is a sheet of aluminium, the amp seems a more likely culprit but then I come back to: Why does the firmware update not work? Then I thought - perhaps the update is trying to update the amplifier module itself? If so, a faulty amp/connection could be responsible for no signal AND the inability to run the update.

VCDS seems to be the most capable bit of kit on the market with some very knowledgable users - I was hoping this could be the route to my salvation - I miss Planet Rock!

Thanks, Peter

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Why does the firmware update not work? Then I thought - perhaps the update is trying to update the amplifier module itself? If so, a faulty amp/connection could be responsible for no signal AND the inability to run the update.
Have you got a wiring diagram (if not you can sign up to erWin for an hour and download loads of factory information), does it show any sort of diagnostic or data connection to the amplifier (LIN or CAN)?

If not it's very unlikely (verging on impossible IMHO) that the amplifier either has firmware or can be updated.

Lotus26R

Reaction score
Thanks Dave - it was a long shot although if that's not the case, I could be stuck with a faulty amp - easy to fix - and some firmware "somewhere" that may never be able to be updated/may still cause a problem.

I'm onto erWin now - thanks for the tip.

Lovely part of the world you live in.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@Lotus26R : Peter - OK, thanks for the detailed back story- it's helpful.

This forum contains an immeasurable wealth of information and I'm constantly blown-away by the awesome expertise of forum members! However, and notwithstanding the vast range of faults/defects that have been solved in this place, there is invariably a single (simple) diagnostic process that permeates every new problem and it starts with the information that is provided by VCDS in the car's scan report.

The ubiquitous presence of a auto scan report at the commencement of the fault-finding exercise in almost every new post here is not a coincidence and the impact of it's omission in favor of "gut-feel" , or "enlightened intuition" (on offense intended) should not be underestimated. Which of course doesn't mean that success is necessarily predicated on the prior creation of a scan report. However, it does mean that there might be (perhaps, "is") value in following a tried-and-true technique that has been proven time and again in the past.

Bottom line: get yourself a good diagnostic cable first, and use fault data provided - its almost always the correct approach!!

Don

Last edited:

Lotus26R

Reaction score
Thanks Don - that sounds like proper good advice - as they'd probably say in this part of the world.

Viking

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151455
Thanks Don - that sounds like proper good advice - as they'd probably say in this part of the world.
Sounds like you're not too far from my neck of the woods then.

Lotus26R

Reaction score
Sounds like you're not too far from my neck of the woods then.
Now there's an interesting observation - would that make you a White Rose supporter?

Viking

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151455
Aye lad. Up near Richmond if you need a scan doing...

Lotus26R

Reaction score
That would be reet grand Viking (I'd guessed at a York location)- and an excuse to slip the leash for an hour or so. I'm just outside Ripon - currently trying to set up Windoze 7 on my MacBook. Need to get BigSur to play nice with High Sierra first - that'll keep me out of mischief for the rest of the afternoon.