About the new Long Coding Method...

DJAlix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238277
Updated VCDS to find that the Long Coding method seems to have been redesigned. Have not needed to use long coding in anger until yesterday, and while trying to complete a retrofit I found the new process to be very frustrating and indeed counter intuitive. While you can still select bytes they are no longer clearly defined, fine can live with that but Lcode2 does not work as it used to, meaning that any edited long coding would not populate the new coding box. I had a nightmare yesterday because of this, retrofitting Hold Assist to a 2016 RS3, as any changes I tried to make would not be moved to the new coding box and when I copied and pasted in new "manually edited" coding via notepad the changes would not "stick" even though they were accepted without error. I ended up using a different tool which still functions the way VCDS used to for my works.

Whats the reasoning for this redesign? Not seen anyone else mention this so might just be me having issues wrapping my head around this :(

Derek

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56983
Hello.

I believe some of the reason is that there are some newer modules with extremely coding, but I'll let Niels explain the full reasons for the changes

It's worth spending time with the new one to get used to it. I struggled at first too, but it feels normal to use it now

If you want to use the older version though, it's still present in the VCDS folder and is named "LCode-Classic.exe" If you rename "LCode.exe" to something else (perhaps LCode-New.exe), then rename "LCode-Classic.exe" to "LCode.exe" you'll find the original version will open up as before in VCDS

Best regards
Derek

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
There are many reasons for redesign, support for UTF translation, size of +80 Byte codings, Byte Bit structure, programming software, etc.
I am sorry, I have difficult about using you description for fault finding.
Have you also pressed F1
It is working fine when I am using it, here is a short video.

DJAlix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238277
Seems to be very buggy. Have just been trying to code a reversing camera to a new S3 8Y today and long coding is accepted only some of the time, by this I mean changes don't show up until you exit the control module and re-enter but then some say accepted but don't show up at all. Am using 2.0.5.0 also.

Fully aware of how to use long coding but this revision is not working :(

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Moved to LCode & VCDSToolbox section.

-Uwe-

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Seems to be very buggy.
What is buggy?

Have just been trying to code a reversing camera to a new S3 8Y today and long coding is accepted only some of the time, by this I mean changes don't show up until you exit the control module and re-enter but then some say accepted but don't show up at all. Am using 2.0.5.0 also.
I am sorry you have to explain more in detail.
If the coding is accepted or not, from the controller, has nothing to do with the LCode program.

Reactions: Uwe

DJAlix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238277
When coding I get a mix of the following:

- changes are accepted but not reflected in the coding string until you exit and re-enter the control module.
- changes accepted confirmation dialogue is displayed but no changes are accepted.
- switch to Lcode 2 and sometimes an incorrect length coding string is presented.

Back