HUC-2H
Just completed a repair on a 2013 Jetta
The common fault codes P0407 and P046C
indicating EGR sensor 1 and EGR sensor 2
being the cause.
I am curious to know where these 2 sensors reside
as i can only locate one, the magnetic rotation positioned
located on the PCB in the motor drive mechanism mounted
on the EGR valve. Anyone know where the other feedback comes from.
EGR 03L 131 512 CF

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

Without knowing exactly which one of the at least five different TDI engine codes this vehicle could have, it is difficult to answer the question and be 100% correct. Try using VCDS to perform an [Output Tests] and see if that can help you identify the electrical components of the engine.

We recommend to use the Factory Wiring Diagrams/Repair Manuals when attempting to diagnose and repair these vehicles.
For factory repair information please see the Ross-Tech wiki page linked below for some good sources of repair information.

Official Factory Repair Information

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Reactions: Uwe

VW1

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HUC-2H
Hi DrPeter,
Thanks for your response
My background is primarily industrial electronics
PLC (programmable logical controllers)
control and automation.
These devices are similar to the ECU in modern vehicles only much
more powerful.
The reason i have started to investigate this problem is due to the
vast number of failures and issues associated with the EGR system.
Fault codes P0407 and P046C make reference to EGR Sensor 1 & 2 i have totally convinced myself only one sensor exists physically.
I will accept this EGR sensor could be labelled sensor 1 on the Bosch platform and possibly sensor 2 on the Delphi platform and that there could be many different fault codes associated with a particular sensor that’s not an issue. How i identify the device is by fault simulation simply unplug it and see what fault code is generated works 100%. If you unplug the EGR you will get either Sensor 1 or Sensor 2 depending on what platform. I have went through all sensors one at a time to check the fault codes all of which were accurate and correct.
The EGR positioner has only one output (feedback) to the ECU
an analog signal in the range of approximately
0.8V (closed) to 3.9V (open) generated from the little hall effect magnetic pickup IC as in photo. I am aware other sensors values may be taken into consideration when calculating the overall performance and operation of the EGR eg, mass air flow, charge pressure & temp, ambient temp, exhaust gas temp, oxygen % fuel injection quantity, throttle position, etc,etc. But all these devices generate their own unique individual fault codes.I think only the guys who write the code for these fault will know the true source of EGR sensor 1 and sensor 2 appearing on the same platform.
Many Thanks
Regards VW1