Status
Not open for further replies.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Oh another annoying thing about this forum is you can't edit a post I've mode a day or so later. Every forum I use I can edit any post I've made to correct typo's or add more info, then it shows an edit date and time, they doesn't this forum have that feature?
It does, but there's a time limit on it. I think it's a day or so. The reason we imposed that time limit is we had a user who and trashed a very long thread by editing (deleting) the content of all of his posts in that thread, apparently because he wasn't satisfied with the help he was getting. Sorry, but that's unacceptable.

Anyway proof-read and edit you posts within the time limit. If you wish to add info after the time limit has passed, you can add a new reply to the tread in question. If you feel an existing post MUST be edited after you no longer can, contact one of the administrators.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Ok as commented in http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?2584-VCDS-Auto-Scan-stops-at-17 just edit the VIN number with xxxxx and I will be happy as I can't edit my previous posts.

I know your Ross Tech guys are busy but if you want help with editing threads because users can't read with putting Autoscans inside CODE tags and Uwe has to edit them. If you make me a MOD I could edit these posts for you? As I've said I'm a MOD and ADMIN on a few VW forums so I know how posts should look.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Done.

-Uwe-

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
This brings up a good issue... why do people edit out the VIN? The issues I see with doing this... can't look up PR codes via a service like www.partslink24.com since there is an incomplete VIN.

What about 3 years down the road when some one sells the car, and the new owner contacts us asking for help coding the ABS module. I've had a few times where I found mk60ec1 ABS coding based on a Google VIN search because some one else posted a full Auto-Scan a few years prior.

IMHO, VINs should be required.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I can see how redacting the VIN might make sense on a brand-new car that's still under warranty, on which the user is undertaking mods or serious tweaks since VW can probably use Google too. But beyond that? Not really. It's not like anyone's VIN is a big secret. It's right there in plain view to anyone who cares to look through the windshield at the dashboard.

That said, we'll still abide by user's wishes when it comes to this particular subject.

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back