HEX-V2 wont do anything except test ok

top99sir

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/SN
I bought a HEX-V2 and installed it on my laptop, it worked excellent as soon as I plugged it into my 2006 VW Jetta TDI and I was able to check and clear codes. the next day I used it again to set the cam timing and everything worked as it should once again, About a week later I installed a Android touch screen head unit. the head unit came fit for my car, wiring harness and all, complete plug and play unit. When I was done the install, I had some DTC codes so I plugged the HEX-V2 in again but this time I cant get anything to work. VCDS loads fine, I can choose what area I want to go into like Control Modules for example but when I click on anything in the section, the loading icon appears for a few seconds and then disappears. I then tried to register my device and could get nothing but empty boxes in VCIConfig. in VCDS when I click on options and test, HEX-V2 tests okay. I read the thread about the CAN + and CAN - wires on the head unit shouldn't be connected to anything but that was after I Had tried to clear the codes after the head unit install. those two wires are connected from the factory wiring harness to the head unit. I cut them to see if it would make a difference but it didn't and the head unit does not turn on and off properly with the key with them cut.
oFDU4oW.png

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Where did you buy this "HEX-V2"?

Notice that VCDS doesn't see a HEX-V2, but rather a HEX-USB+CAN. That's very common with what we call "Faux-V2" pirate clones.

Post a picture of the "HEX-V2" itself please.

-Uwe-

top99sir

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/SN
I bought it on wish. It was advertised as Ross-TechVCS-V2.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

top99sir

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/SN
Okay I will do that. How do you identify it as a fake? Is it just because of where I bought it or it there a physical identification?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Where you bought it is just one factor, but there are a number of things about that interface that are visuallu dead give-aways that it's a clone/pirate fake. Sorry, I'm not going to spell out what they are; that would make it too easy to make more realistic-looking ones. Bottom line: If you want a legitimate VCDS system, buy it from a trusted source rather than someplace that has deals that are too good to be true.

-Uwe-