3 VIN or 10 VIN?

Londonerryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=420740
Hi guys,

I was recommended to come here by guys on VW Vortex forum (allowed to plug them??).

I'm going to buy my first VCDS but after being explained the [very] basics i'm still none the wiser as to whether i should pay the extra £75 and get 10 VIN (£300 instead of £225) or just get 3 VIN for now and risk not upgrading. The upgrade at a later date would cost £169 i see (nearly £100 more than if i just buy 10 now).

Basically, i am a complete novice... I've used several OBDII scanners which are fairly simple to use but it seems i need VCDS now. I have a VW Golf MK 5 2007 model and since i bought it in the summer, it's given me nothing but problems. I must've had every dashboard warning light and thingy go off on it to date!

At present, the car doors aren't locking properly. I'd like to be able to diagnose that before i go to garage yet again.

I was explained - and i read a thread on this forum - about how not every car's VIN needs registering. I know roughly what 'basic' functions i can do without registering. Obviously i'll register my car, and perhaps some time down the line i might register a friend's or family member's car. To be honest, i don't know anybody with a car that it would work on.

As such, it would seem 3 VIN would more than suffice for what i want it for?

I was also thinking of resale value though too. For example, does anybody buy the 10 VIN version knowing that even if they use up say 3 or 4 of the VINs they still have a lot left over to make it worth selling 2nd hand once they buy a different brand of car?

Thanks for any advice.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
As such, it would seem 3 VIN would more than suffice for what i want it for?
It certainly sounds like it to me.

For example, does anybody buy the 10 VIN version knowing that even if they use up say 3 or 4 of the VINs they still have a lot left over to make it worth selling 2nd hand once they buy a different brand of car?
Buy a different brand of car? Perish the thought! :eek:

-Uwe-

Londonerryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=420740
It certainly sounds like it to me.

Buy a different brand of car? Perish the thought! :eek:

-Uwe-

Lol, well considering how much hassle this one has given me, changing car has certainly entered my mind. :rolleyes:

On the topic of what i said about 'sell on value'... do some people consider that? For example, if i get the 3 VIN and over the years i use them all up, presumably it would have very little sell on value? Whereas if i bought the 10 VIN and use only 3, there are 7 left, so much more likely to sell. Or is that just a daft way of thinking? lol. After all, as a novice i'm likely only going to use it to scan this and that, remove warnings etc every so often.

langers2k

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224085
Personally, I'd grab the 10-VIN as they are better value (£75 for 7 extra VIN's) and only one upgrade from being unlimited.

It should have better resell value given it has more VIN's.

Once you're used to VCDS, you can probably also help out local VAG owners too. If you charge a small amount to cover the VIN, it'll probably make up the difference quite easily :)

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
The resale price may be slightly higher on a 10-VIN interface, but bear in mind that for a 2nd hand owner to get registered (and thus benefit from Ross-Tech's support team, and have full access to these forums) they would need to pay $99 USD to transfer ownership.
(To do so adding a VIN upgrade is $199 USD)

So a knowledgeable buyer is going to know that however much they pay you for it, they'll also have to pay at least another £75 if they want support.
So you may not get a huge resale value on a 3 or 10-VIN interface.

As langers2k says though, if there's any chance of you staying with VAG (or covering friends' and family's cars), then a 10-VIN will save you £95 in the long run...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Lol, well considering how much hassle this one has given me, changing car has certainly entered my mind.
Well it is a 14 year old car... ;)

-Uwe-

_Val

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=356659
Is there upgrade option for hex-v2 unlimited to hex-net? Obviously without briefcase, flash drive and live support.
Just asking. :D Yes, that includes shipping both ways...

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
:rolleyes::facepalm::banghead: No.... we do not offer upgrades (trade-ins) from a current generation product to another current generation product.

Londonerryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=420740
Thanks for all the advice. Hmm, tricky decision. The 10 VIN saves money in the long-term, but in the short-term i'm a complete novice so is more than 3 VIN necessary? On the other hand, i could get 10 and let Tom, Dick, but not Harry, come over and use it for a small fee (e.g pack of beers). I'm assuming other people think this stuff over too, not just me? I think i'll sleep on it one more night then decide tomorrow. Just hoping it will tell me why my car doors aren't working properly (that's for another thread on another day, i think).

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Thanks for all the advice. Hmm, tricky decision. The 10 VIN saves money in the long-term, but in the short-term i'm a complete novice so is more than 3 VIN necessary? On the other hand, i could get 10 and let Tom, Dick, but not Harry, come over and use it for a small fee (e.g pack of beers). I'm assuming other people think this stuff over too, not just me? I think i'll sleep on it one more night then decide tomorrow. Just hoping it will tell me why my car doors aren't working properly (that's for another thread on another day, i think).
What's your beef with Harry? :rolleyes:

Londonerryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=420740
Okay, i decided on the 10 VIN. Makes more sense to me considering it's only one payment of £169 for unlimited VINs and better sell-on value.

I haven't checked out the forum properly. Is there a tutorial section? Cheers.

Londonerryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=420740
Sorry, forgot to add....

Is the extra £20 worth it?

Last edited:

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Okay, i decided on the 10 VIN. Makes more sense to me considering it's only one payment of £169 for unlimited VINs and better sell-on value.

I haven't checked out the forum properly. Is there a tutorial section? Cheers.
There is a lot of useful info in the Wiki, and once registered you can ask for help on here too.

Sorry, forgot to add....

Is the extra £20 worth it?

For the extra £20 you get:
- a 2x2 adaptor (to cover pre-1996 cars)
- a 3 metre USB extension lead (don't forget the interface already comes with a 2m lead of its own)
- a 16 GB (reusable) USB flash drive with the latest software installer on it

If you want/need those bits, then the bundle is a cheaper way of getting them than buying them separately.
In most cases they won't be necessary for home use though.

Reactions: Uwe

Londonerryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=420740
For the extra £20 you get:
- a 2x2 adaptor (to cover pre-1996 cars)
- a 3 metre USB extension lead (don't forget the interface already comes with a 2m lead of its own)
- a 16 GB (reusable) USB flash drive with the latest software installer on it

If you want/need those bits, then the bundle is a cheaper way of getting them than buying them separately.
In most cases they won't be necessary for home use though.

I suspect i'll never need the 2x2 adaptor, and the USB extension lead i can find myself, but i was wondering if the USB flash drive 'with latest software' is something of use?

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
I suspect i'll never need the 2x2 adaptor, and the USB extension lead i can find myself, but i was wondering if the USB flash drive 'with latest software' is something of use?
Only really necessary if you're using it on a PC without internet access - otherwise you can just download the software for free.

Reactions: Uwe