How long should ASAM updates take?

jphughan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380153
I just used VCDS-Mobile to perform an auto-scan of one vehicle, my 2019 Mk7.5 Golf R (NAR). The HEX-NET said ASAM files were missing, and when I tried to have it update, it seemed to get stuck on verifying the update. After 2 minutes while connected to my vehicle I cancelled the update to avoid draining my battery and brought it back to my laptop. I connected it via USB, opened VCDS-Mobile again, and manually checked for updates. I was again prompted to update ASAM files, which I chose to do. Initially the ETA was 2 minutes, but it's now been running for over 15 minutes, and at this stage the progress bars are as follows:

Updating ASAM dataset: 40%, ETA 40 minutes
Step [2/3] Verifying Update: 1/5

Since the ETA has been incrementing up from 2 minutes to 40 minutes, it doesn't appear to be hung, but neither of the progress bars have moved, and it's been verifying this 1 KB of data for over 15 minutes now. Is this normal? Is there a server-side issue somewhere? How long should it normally take to update ASAM data for a single vehicle? I have a 400 Mbps Internet connection, but I doubt it makes a difference here.

I've power cycled the HEX-NET several times with no change in behavior. The HEX-NET is running CB 0.4529 and FW 1.53.

Last edited:

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Verifying is a purely offline process, your internet shouldn't matter at all for this. I don't see how it could hang at the verifying step, that is very strange. You can try checking for updates with VCIConfig on the PC and seeing if you can get the rod download that way.

jphughan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380153
Thanks Shaun. I actually tried that first but VCIConfig indicated that I was up to date, so I figured ASAM updates might only be possible with VCDS-Mobile. But having just tried VCIConfig again, this time I saw a "Rod update needed" message and the Download Update button became available. So I clicked that, and it seems to have updated successfully. I'm still a bit concerned that I couldn't make this happen through VCDS-Mobile though, since one of the reasons I bought this was to be able to use it even when I don't have a system running VCDS handy. I know that I'm now covered going forward for the specific vehicle I just tested, but that's only true because I had my laptop with me right now. But thanks again for cluing me into the fact that VCDS can perform an ASAM/rod update.