Multi-gauges display app

tosk

Reaction score
Dear all,

As new member (and potential new buyer) I have a question regarding the VCDS-Mobile:

Is there an app where the main real data are displayed in a aesthetic pretty form ? like extra gauges in a Wi-Fi tablet which will do as an extra car screen.

As an example look at the Nissan GTR where lot’s of internal parameters (engine, transmission, etc.…) are nicely displayed !
I’m thinking/referring to an app (maybe to be developed) I would call it ‘read only mode’ where the user could choose which parameters will be shown (multiple pages too) in a nice graphical form.

Please keep in mind that the majority of the owners of a car is not willing/able/considering to apply changes to the car for many reasons (mainly a lack of know how as is in my case for example combining the value of premium car which I don’t want to be a playground! ) but still would love to see (read only) many internal parameters (temperatures of coolant, oil, diesel regeneration filter, voltages, pressure, torque, turbo valves opening, differential locking status and so on !)

Consider us as ‘curious car users’ similarly to PC users: the task manager application will show a bit on the inside (CPU load, RAM, disk, network usage and so on for those interested!) even to those users not able to hack/create a PC program for it; few individual will dare to change the register setting of a PC !

Your tool seems fantastic to explore the inside of what happens in real time, just show it to less technical owners in a graphical form, a suggestion to increase the market outside the enthusiastic DIY circle (if you don’t mind me suggesting it in case such an app is not already available!)

I read the interesting VIN-Limited Interface FAQ
https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/8869/

What functions are not VIN-Restricted?
A VIN-Limited interface can do Auto-Scans, Clear DTCs, and look at Measuring Values on an unlimited number of cars

What functions are VIN-Restricted?
In essence, it's those functions that actually change things in the car:

This could even limit the functionality (=cost) for a simpler version where no changes are possible, just a monitoring device for more curious owners! In time an upgrade to a complete access could be an option for the ones who develop and learn more details and wish to change settings.

Kind Regards
tosk

langers2k

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224085
Other tools exist that use inexpensive OBDII WiFi/BT adaptors and will show gauges, for example Torque. Feels like that would be more suited to that use case and budget :/

I'm not aware of any tools that make VCDS data output 'pretty', there is VC-Scope but it looks pretty basic: https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-scope/

Uwe, feel free to delete this if needed.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

tosk

Reaction score
Hello, thanks for your answers !

"pretty" is not high on our priority list
I see ... a pity you could gain some customers/market shares by making data more user friendly ... obviously selling more is not your priority, legitim choice.

regards and goodbye
Tosk

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
Hello, thanks for your answers !

"pretty" is not high on our priority list
I see ... a pity you could gain some customers/market shares by making data more user friendly ... obviously selling more is not your priority, legitim choice.

regards and goodbye
Tosk

then read it as: VCDS is probably not meant for customers who consider "pretty" as their highest priority. I totally second Uwe's point of view.

Reactions: Uwe

tosk

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, anyway my initial enthusiasm (of possibly using your excellent product for a more recreational permanent use, let's call it like that) is completely vanished after considering more carefully the legal and monetary consequences of such an application in case of serious car accident and dealing with insurance and authority potentially claiming that the car is no longer 'factory complaining' cause the presence of such capable (of changing settings) device (not foreseen by the car manufacture for this purpose).

thanks for your time and attention
regards

tosk

Reaction score
the car is no longer 'factory complaining'

meant:
the car is no longer 'factory compliance (accordance, conformity) '
apology ...

Back