"Rebuilt", now only Reverse works! Thoughts?

Pd154

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=415773 (NRRT)
I have spent 4 months (intermittently) rebuilding my daughter-in-laws VW 01M Auto transmission. Here is the link to my progress on NewBeetle 1.8T Beetle 01m Auto transmission .
4 months of work and space taken up on my hoist. After all that, and a couple of long days installing it back in her beetle the 01M has No forward drive! AHHHHHH! Reverse works fine. ATF pressure from port shows what I think is close to correct pressures,
P=46psi cold, similar warm. Shifting to R flashed to 150/160 then settled at 65psi. N= 65psi D=53ps1, up to 120 at 3000rmp, #= 53psi, 2= 53psi, 2=53psi There is a slight tic of the pressure needle when shifted from 2-1 but nothing at all into Drive, 3 or 2.
Couple of months ago I bought a ross-tech VCDS 3 Vin, and updated a couple of days ago, (with some foul language for a while) .I did a scan and it showed no trans codes, perhaps it just needs more running to throw a code?
I had no idea how much to screw in the Valve body springs on any that were adjustable, (what everyone seems to call the "Kerma mod"adjustment) so that's why I tested the ATF line pressure.
Anyone have any recommendations on what to look at or try with the VCDS? ( ATF filled correctly @~40C using vcds).
I went into "Basic settings" ; "Group" 001; "Selector lever Position" was P, "Throttle Valve Voltage" was 0.00V "Accelerator Pedal Value" was 0.0% and "Multi-function Switch" was 00000111.
People talk of a "reset" using key on, gas pedal to the floor for 10 seconds... Should this be done?
Thanks,, Pete

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

I have not rebuilt any of these transmissions, but if I did I would look for a repair manual that would go into more depth than the Volkswagen Factory Repair manuals.

ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Group) seems to have decent information......... Search for [ V.W. 01M Tiptronic Technicians Diagnostic Guide_DL ]

That guide maybe worth it?

Hope this helps...

drpeter

Pd154

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=415773 (NRRT)
Thanks DrPeter,
I did follow the ATSG manual quite diligently. That and videos. Thinking of removing it and putting in a standard, I bought a 1 year newer beetle with 150,000 Km for very cheap as it has electrical problems, engine and standard trans work well. Would the VCDS show anything if one of the clutch pistons was not working as it should.? Its odd, I ran it in all the gears for about 1/2 hour yesterday but the VCDS scows nothing ( as far as transmission issues),