Old USB Dongle

robertdaleweir

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=51846
I have had a USB connectable dongle since Nov 13, 2007. I have been using it on my Beetle and a 2009 Jetta that I have since sold. I recently upgraded the software and I am having some issues. I see there are some help sections on your site so this is not what I am posting about. I have a 2017 Tiguan (under leases) and I am thinking of taking ownership of it at the end of its lease, which is next June 2021. My question is where do I stand as being able to adequately scan that unit with my current dongle and of course its license?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
A 2017 Tiguan in NAR is still the old body style, right? Your HEX+CAN should be fine on that. Download and install the current version of VCDS and you should be good to go.

-Uwe-

robertdaleweir

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=51846
Not sure of 'old body style', but I assume you are correct. Thank you for the information. I will keep the software up to date and give it a whirl.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not sure of 'old body style',
See:
"First Generation" is the old body style; those were Mk.5/Mk6 based. Second generation is the new (current) body style, which is Mk.7/MQB based. If it's truly a MY 2017 North American model, it should be the older body style. Even if it is the newer one, a HEX+CAN will still talk to most of the systems it it, although if it's a very high-line one, there may be some systems you'll miss out on. There's no harm in trying it in any case.

-Uwe-