Have you had a squirrel eating up your turbo?

Lotus89

Reaction score
Passat 1.4 ecofuel DSG7 B7

So before the squirrel "accident", I only had p2177 (rough idle) coupled by p0303 (misfire cylinder 3) for a while. Rough idle and sluggish acceleration. VW dealer said "we suspect injector 3 and 4 needs replace." All good up until now.

I discovered the disconnected air hose and connected it back after around 30 minutes of driving or 30 miles but the car had been parked under the oak on our backyard for a couple of days, EPC light came on, the car lost all throttle power, and the engine where running very rough. Shut down engine, disconnected the air hose again, by that time I didn't know about the squirrel attack yet. Start up the engine and try to drive, the engine wasn't as rough as before shutting down the engine and the EPC light was off and when I took of the car is on third of its original power, and I'm not hearing any turbo sound. By this time, the car have lost all its boost.

Now p2262 (Turbo/ Overcharge not detected - mechanic, permanent) presented itself and my mechanic suspected the turbo was broken by a sucked in acorn or a squirrel. He opened the air intake hose that connects to the turbo to expose the turbine, visually we couldn't see any damage on it. He ran some tests but couldn't be 100% sure that the turbo needs a replace.

Maybe the acorn thing is just fooling us from seeing anything else, maybe it could be another issue that these cars usually have.

We have checked for air leaks with start spray, I've cleaned the map and o2 sensors, deleted the codes and tried again, still no sign of life in the turbo. When revving the engine in neutral gear it goes up to 4000 rpm and on the way back to idle I hear some hissing sound from the turbo, not sure if this is normal or not. I can add that the electrical parking brake went nuts on the day after, could it be linked to the turbo issue, it's a longshot. The electronic parking brake only locks one of the rear tires not both. Didn't get a fault code for it but the dashboard lit up a lamp for it and check manual for info.

Any ideas about what might have happened to this car?

The squirrel have had a buffet party on the air filter. If you made it this far on reading then you've got to now how he got in there, I forgot to reconnect the air intake hose after I made the air filter change which left him an open backdoor. He had some party on the battery too, laid there all cozy and warm on the soft VW battery cover, the b*****d have some taste, probably made some new squirrels with his madame.😂😂

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

I have seen a lot of rodent damage to vehicles since I had been working on vehicles both in New England and the southern states. I see Sweden is not immune to these problems either!

Have you inspected the "Charge Air Cooler" that is integrated into the Intake Manifold? Maybe there could be more 'food storage' bits or even nesting material in there? If there was the "suspect" started to build a nest with soft material, I wonder if that soft stuff could have been sucked passed the turbo without any real evidence/damage?

Also the intake has "resonance chambers" that may have foreign material inside left over from the party.

There is a Self Study Program out there for these engines that may help, use an internet search for these keywords...
[SSP 1.4L EA211 Gasoline Engine]

Worth a deeper look...

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Reactions: Uwe

Lotus89

Reaction score
Hi @DrPeter

The supercharger have sucked in acorns and has malfunctioned. We bought a used one and replaced it, took the car for a run, it worked fine a couple of minutes and then it turned off both the supercharger and the turbocharger again.

Further inspection revealed that bits and pieces have now traveled and stuck to the rotors on the turbo, whereas none was there before. So this time we cleaned the turbo rotor (without taking the turbo apart, only the visible areas behind the intake hose) and we air pressure cleaned all the intake air hoses up until the turbo. Acorn bits and pieces where flying everywhere. We haven't got so far as to the intercooler, I suspect that this is the next step in the cleaning process. When I drive the car now, it works fine for around 20 minutes and then both chargers shut down.

The mechanic said that if I drive the car for a couple of hours, should it clean itself, his theory is that the rest of the acorns would run through the burning process and out with via exhaust. The theory didn't sound good in my ears, because that means the acorns would theoretically be small enough to first get through the intercooler to the air valve and there be even smaller to find their way into the cylinder and be burned there?

It sounded unhealthy for the engine, so I'm going to take it back to him and tell him to take a look at the intake hose right next to the intercooler, if he is able to see the inside of the intercooler without disassembling it is a good first step to get a idea if the acorns made it this far. I mean he should be the professional, I'm thinking about getting a second opinion from somebody else, part of the reason for this thread.

I downloaded the ssp for the car, and it was of great help. Thanks for the resource Peter.

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

Wow!!! Thanks for the update!!!! That sounds like a mess, not as bad as an aircraft turbine ingesting a bird, but still a mess.

SSPs are awesome!

I am with you, I would not drive or run the engine anymore until you can clean everything out.
Anything solids that can not pass through an air filter are potentially hazardous for the engine.

I would make sure it is spotless from the Air cleaner to the intake valves!

Let us know how it goes...

drpeter

Lotus89

Reaction score
Solved!

Conclusion:

Bits and pieces had traveled down the air intake circuit, they had gone past and broken the supercharger, some of the bits had stuck to the fan blades of the turbo, and some had continued, and this was hopefully the last step of the cleaning process, to block the air path right at the mouth of the intercooler. The computer detected the air blockage and continued to shut down both chargers, but now after we cleaned last time the car is running problem free.

Hope this helps!