Diagnosing possible optical issue (2017 Golf R)

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
How do you toggle to experimental long coding helper?

Thanks for assisting here and sorry I missed that. Experiential coding is only available with a current generation interface such as the HEX-NET or HEX-V2. When you are using one on a control module that has both Exp -and- Conventional (label based) coding clicking the Long Coding Helper presents you with a box in VCDS where you can select [Yes] or [No] to use EXP coding. At that point the Yellow helper will open if you choose yes.

I wouldn't upgrade from the Micro-CAN for that one reason but the function is handy.

I just added a description to the 5G0-035-MIB-STD2 file so it will show MOST in 19/5 after the next update. I'll take a look at the other labels to see if they may also need that tweak.

yeahforbes

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-2H
Thanks for taking that, Dana! I didn't know the answer myself, since it's not obvious from my point of view. In addition to the MOST checkbox (byte 19 bit 5), the other thing was the drop-down list in byte 11 bit 0-7: the conventional helper only has 2 items (dec01 and dec03) whereas my original value was dec02 so the drop-down represented it as "None found". If I didn't have the experimental helper and if I hadn't saved the coding in order to easily revert, the user experience of trying to restore the dec02 value would be a little dicey.

Huge thanks to everyone for helping with this! Fingers crossed on a goodwill repair (I opened the case only a few weeks after my warranty expired) or else I'll try the junkyard method. Seems like a lot of logistics.

Last edited:

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Excellent! I missed that in Byte 11 but was able to add 02 = PR-Code 8RU Sound system with subwoofer "branded" based on the PR-codes from this 2017 R. Pretty sure your R would have that same PR code based on VIN.

I also spotted a missing config for my e-Golf and updated Byte 17 while I was in there. I'm unclear on Byte 18 (yours is 07 and my 2017 e-Golf is 05) so I left that alone for now. I think 17 is the skin and 18 is the start-up (splash screen) but I'd need to experiment and that sounds like a rainy day project if I can't find a list.​

Best of luck to you with the GW warranty! If the dealer cannot help directly you can reach out to VW customer care. Never hurts to try both; worst case they all say no but based on your current Avatar pic it looks like you send plenty in their direction keeping that family of VWs on the road.

yeahforbes

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-2H
Thanks! Yeah, I'm working with customer care after my local dealer shook their head. Avatar is an accurate history! Rabbit, GTI, GTI, R with nothing in between since 2012 :)

yeahforbes

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-2H
After losing a few weeks due to VWoA Customer Care changing their support ticket system sometime between June and December without also ensuring that the defunct email address auto-responds to indicate that my messages were lost to the void...

I've now got something promising: "Please be advised that we will not proactively cover a diagnosis cost, as the vehicle it outside of warranty, but due to the repeat concerns, we would be happy to look into potential financial assistance." Appointment Friday, and a followup call from the RCM on Monday. Fingers crossed.

Any speculation on how close to 100% the "potential financial assistance" might be? And how much they negotiate if it's initially a lowball? I realize anything is better than nothing for an out-of-warranty situation, but they know I'm a long-time customer active in various groups.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Keep in mind I left the dealer clear back in 2009 but in my more recent personal experience VW will usually do a 50/50 split of the total repair -or- negotiate with the dealer to offer you a 3-way (33%) split where the dealer is an involved participant. Dealer involvement is usually reserved for an original owner (or the 2nd hand owner of a used certified VW) purchased through that dealer. Any dealer Goodwill participation on a car they didn't originally sell would be rather unlikely.

If either are on the table I would probably go for it. Getting the latest (revised) module installed and configured for 33 %to 50% of the normal cost should be a longer lived repair than sourcing the same unit from a junkyard/online seller, taking a gamble with another failure in the near future and dealing with CP in my opinion.

In other cases, they may offer a percentage of the cost of parts only (no labor) which could be borderline insulting depending on the list price and what the dealer wants to charge to configure it. In that case a used unit would probably make far more sense.

yeahforbes

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-2H
So, the MIB2 decided it was done misbehaving (for now, anyway) on that very drive to the dealership, after about a month of consistent freezing/rebooting every few minutes. VW gremlins, man. So typical. But some DTCs were stored, so the technician was able to confirm the issue anyway. They did a software update from 751 to 755 and mentioned that the release notes for this update actually mention that it resolves the problem I was having.

I did ask if there was a TSB, and the service advisor said no, and there wasn't a recall for my car, but there was a recall for similar cars having similar problems mentioned in the software update release notes.

Anyway, it's been fine ever since (only a few drive cycles so far) and I'm not sure if it's the gremlins going into hibernation on their own, or if the sw update permanently fixed it. I'll report back if anything changes!

VWoA wouldn't budge on the $135 dealer diagnostics, but there was no additional charge for the update, so overall I'm happy.

Oh, and I recently read through a decent chunk of a Vortex thread which suggests that the system stabilizes (regardless of software update) by removing the nav SD card. Obviously that's only a solution for people who don't use the built-in nav, and I am one such person... might just go that route if it happens again. I wonder if it's just a matter of the SD card going bad over time, and software updates having better error handling for it.