Forum Search Function

Johnson Motorwerks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=245616
Hi all,

I was trying to do some research on this forum yesterday and found that using acronyms in "search" is not allowed or possible. Is there a reason for this outside of a site limitation? Being that VAG and all German car makers use acronyms for modules since most of them keep their mother tongue naming scheme it would be nice to be able to search older posts in this manner.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
How many characters were in the acronyms you were searching for?

Johnson Motorwerks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=245616
Most modules are 3 characters.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@Johnson Motorwerks : I suspect that your search string has fallen foul of the "too short" restriction. I don't think that it matters if the term is included in the forum lexicon, or not.

For example, try searching for the term "Bit" which is not a defined-term but which should return lots of hits because of the nomenclature that's used in long-code. It suffers the same fate. However, If you extend the search string to "Bits", there will be hits-a-plenty!

The forum search engine seems to need a minimum of 4 x alpha/numeric characters.

Don

PS: On a different, but related topic - is there a listing of the different modes for searching the forum (i.e. must-have inclusions, or exclusions)?

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ haha.....yes it works - but a classic example of a solution that focuses on solving the effect, rather than the cause!!! :D

So as for my other question - is there a list of the operators that the forum search engine uses for stuff like concatenation, must-include, must-exclude etc?

Don