I'm in trouble

T-CUT

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205609
Ok, this is what I have done!
When fitting the spring, the engine was started so I could release the airbag. Then disconnected the battery and left it alone for about an hour. The steering wheel was centralized, remove the airbag, steering wheel and plastic cowling. The old clock spring was removed also. Fitted new spring and after replacing plastic cowling. I pulled out the safety plug, put the steering wheel and airbag on. Reconnected the battery. I then plugged in VCDS and entered into 16 steering, went to the basic setting and tried to calibrate. It wouldn't. So tried security access, put in the code 40168 and went back to basic setting. In there I pressed drop down to calibrate G85. It went green at the top but noticed that the basic setting wasn't on. When I tried switching it back. It went to red and error. I change the coding from 000000 to 0000fd and tried again. Still can't calibrate. I hope my English isn't too bad lol
Open to options, please
Sorry Jack

Last edited:

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Yes it does, I think it goes up to around 176 deg on both sides and straight .09 deg
If that is the case, it is mechanically centered up just fine. If the G85 reports 0.09 degrees with a level steering wheel and front wheels straight ahead, one should be able to do the G85 relearn.

Jacked asked if you had any legacy scans... did you run an Auto-Scan BEFORE any parts were replaced? Also, where did you buy the part from.... do they sell new Audi vehicles out the front door (dealer)?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If the G85 reports 0.09 degrees
Does it really report in hundredths of a degree on this car, or was that a typo by the OP?

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I would be willing to bet the front end is out and you changed your clock spring for no reason.

Please explain your reasoning for engaging in this repair in detail and what fault codes led you to do this work operation.

I have a "friend" that was pretty sure he needed such a thing too & until I showed him the front end is more fragile than he understood, he also waited two-weeks and the car came in with bald tires too as a result of dismissing me.

I relaxed the shifted subframe & adjusted the mechanicals, guess what no more lights........?

I would go as far as that this happens on more than 90% of such rabbit holes gone down & by the masses of unfamiliar and even alleged experts all too often, so don't feel bad!

Oh and it was more than likely done on purpose by design because cryptic simple and even complex, that is just what Germans do........ ;)