Feature request - change of log folder and information

diskoboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=50403
Hi,

Having used VCDS for many years something has always been a small frustration and now it's time to request a new feature :)

1) Location of the log files - would it be possible to change the location of the log files?
I have 2 versions of VCDS installed - both the english and the danish version. Sometimes I work in US and sometimes i DK depending if the label files are in place, or if I just know the "IDE"-number of the adaption channel.

Nevertheless it would fantastic to have ONE location where both adaption and coding are stored. I'm fully aware that there are danish/english/other languages words in the adaption/coding log files, but it would make so much more sense to me to have a chronological order of what you have changed in one place.

That said, it would be really nice if you could change the Debug/Log folder to any folder on the local pc.

2) Grouping by VIN
Another nice feature - you can call it an extended version of the above - especially if you have the unlimited version of the cable was to have a folder for each VIN.

Example:
C:\VCDS\Shared_Log_Folder_For_All_VCDS_Versions_Installed_On_This_Laptop\Debug-Log\WVGZZZ1TZHW031234\

Inside all files from this specific vehicle would be stored.

Of course there should be a "fallback" folder in case it was not possible to retrieve the VIN and files should be stored in the normal log folders.

Just my 5 cents... :-)

langers2k

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224085

diskoboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=50403
A very fast C# code that moves files to a folder named the VIN number. Feel free to modify it and use it your own programs :)

Code:
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.IO;
using System.Text.RegularExpressions;

namespace Move_Files_to_VIN_Subfolder
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            string sVCDSFolder = @"C:\Users\<insert your username here or extend to get the info automatically>\OneDrive\VCDS logs";

Regex regex = new Regex(@"(WVG.{14}|TMB.{14}|WAU.{14}|WVW.{14}|VSS.{14}|TRU.{14})");

string[] fileEntries = Directory.GetFiles(sVCDSFolder);
            foreach (string fileName in fileEntries)
            {
                Match match = regex.Match(fileName);
                if (match.Success) {
                    if (match.Value != "")
                    {

if (!Directory.Exists(sVCDSFolder + "\\" + match.Value))
                        {
                            DirectoryInfo di = Directory.CreateDirectory(sVCDSFolder + "\\" + match.Value);
                        }

string sMovefromFolder = sVCDSFolder + "\\" + Path.GetFileName(fileName);
                        string sMovetoFolder = sVCDSFolder + "\\" + match.Value + "\\" + Path.GetFileName(fileName);
                        File.Move(sMovefromFolder, sMovetoFolder);
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
I have 3 pc's - my work laptop (without VCDS), my server (without VCDS) and my private laptop with VCDS installed. On all 3 pc's I've installed Onedrive and on the server I've just scheduled the small program to run every hour. Then files will automatically be moved into a subfolder. Pretty simple ;)

The mklink works perfect as well :)

Last edited: