2006 Audi A8

RSD2005

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=189920
Hi, I'm a newbie on the forums and still very wet behind the ears using VCDS. I had success using it on a few VW Passat's in the past. So, I'm contemplating a purchase of a 2006 A8 with the 4.2 under the hood. 143K miles on the clock, but overall runs good no CEL or SES lights illuminating. Im unable to run auto scan and I'm unable to access any modules aside from 01 engine. I'm experiencing issues with the MMI, it turns on opens and then shuts off and closes within 10- 15 seconds when and if it should decide to do so. Any suggestions on that and also would this have anything to do with the limited access to VCDS? I've read there's a fiber optic loop in this car and I'm not sure if this loop which I believe is my issue with the MMI would have anything to do with my communication with the modules. Thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi and welcome.
Im unable to run auto scan and I'm unable to access any modules aside from 01 engine.
If you're using the KII-USB you bought from us, that's not a surprise. That's a K-Line only interface and most everything in a D3 A8 requires a direct CAN connection for diagnostics. Upgrades are available here.

I'm experiencing issues with the MMI, it turns on opens and then shuts off and closes within 10- 15 seconds when and if it should decide to do so. Any suggestions on that and also would this have anything to do with the limited access to VCDS? I've read there's a fiber optic loop in this car and I'm not sure if this loop which I believe is my issue with the MMI would have anything to do with my communication with the modules.
All of the MMI stuff communicates via a MOST Ring Bus. VCDS can help diagnose problems with that, but you'd need a CAN bus capable interface to do it.

-Uwe-

RSD2005

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=189920
Thanks. I'm going to upgrade to the newer version..

Reactions: Uwe