2004 TOUAREG BEST NEW SHOCKS STRUTS

Davethewave1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=386480
Hi Everyone,

its been a while. Here is what I am thinking of doing...

40mm shock/strut spacers to fit larger A/T tires.

While I'm down there I am thinking of replacing the OEM shocks/struts (Non-Air suspension) since I have 165,000 miles on them and thought I should reach out to the Ross-Tech family for their opinion.

Questions:
Are there any brands of shock/struts that you guys have used on the Touareg that you are very happy with?
Obviously, the air ride suspension option that comes on some Tregs is really cool. Is adding air capability even a reasonable option? I did see a guy on craigslist in my area parting out his Treg with air suspension and that got me thinking.
Would it be best to buy a longer shock/strut to make up the extra 40mm that I am adding with the spacers? or is the 40mm a small enough addition to go mostly unnoticed?

Thank you all as always!!!

Dave

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
As this doesn't involved VCDS in any way, moving to General VW/Audi Repair.

TBH, I think you would get more/better feedback regarding these questions in a Touareg-specific forum. ClubTouareg comes to mind, but I would guess there are others as well. There simply aren't that many Touareg owners here, and I'm not aware of any that have done what you're proposing.

The air suspension is very cool when it works, but a real let-down when it doesn't. BTDT with a 2004 that had air suspension from the factory; thankfully it was still under warranty. Personally, I would not even contemplate retrofitting an air suspension, but I'm perfectly happy with steel and I guess it depends on how you plan to use the vehicle. If you're looking serious off-roading, you need the diff locks as well...

-Uwe-

PS: TFL has a bunch of videos regarding the 2004 T'reg they off-road, but they bought one with all the fixings to begin with: