AutoStart/Stop on 2021 Q7

scott99c2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=291101
Hi all, new guy here,
I just took delivery of a 2021 SQ7 with the 4.0T in the US. I'd like to be able to code out the auto stop/start being on by default. I've seen various methods in google searching and wondered if there was a method that wouldn't raise any red flags with the dealership for service.

Also, when I do a full scan on that car, I get a VCDS error saying I need to upgrade. Can anyone help with either of these? Thanks!

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
From MY20 onwards VAG have disabled the coding/adaptation changes that disabled start/stop, so they won't work on your MY21 SQ7. To disable start/stop on MY20 onwards you need to had a hardware memory module, such as Start/Stop Memory

It sounds like you have a HEX-CAN cable from that message, VAG have changed the length and format of the diagnostic messages from MY20 which the HEX-CAN cable can no longer be software upgraded to work with. So from MY20 onwards you need either a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET cable. Ross-Tech do offer an upgrade program, see Interface Upgrades

scott99c2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=291101
From MY20 onwards VAG have disabled the coding/adaptation changes that disabled start/stop, so they won't work on your MY21 SQ7. To disable start/stop on MY20 onwards you need to had a hardware memory module, such as Start/Stop Memory

It sounds like you have a HEX-CAN cable from that message, VAG have changed the length and format of the diagnostic messages from MY20 which the HEX-CAN cable can no longer be software upgraded to work with. So from MY20 onwards you need either a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET cable. Ross-Tech do offer an upgrade program, see Interface Upgrades

Thank you! I wasn't aware of the MY20 limitation for this feature, which sucks. I'll look into the memory module, but the car is only a couple weeks old, so the wife will likely not be very happy with me taking the car apart already.

Thank you again for the speedy reply.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I haven't seen a 2021 Q7 in the flesh. Does it still have a dedicated physical button for the start/stop nonsense, or have the made it a "soft" button on a touch-screen? If the latter, then even an emulator/memory module won't work.

Assuming you're still using the HEX+CAN interface I show in our records for you, then it's not compatible with this vehicle. You'll need to upgrade, either in Category 3 or 4 on the following page:

-Uwe-

scott99c2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=291101
I haven't seen a 2021 Q7 in the flesh. Does it still have a dedicated physical button for the start/stop nonsense, or have the made it a "soft" button on a touch-screen? If the latter, then even an emulator/memory module won't work.

Assuming you're still using the HEX+CAN interface I show in our records for you, then it's not compatible with this vehicle. You'll need to upgrade, either in Category 3 or 4 on the following page:

-Uwe-

It still has a button, I don’t think it changed since the 2019 refresh. I do still have the Hex-Can cable, and the vast majority of what I use it for is my 2013 S7. I haven’t decided if I want to bite the bullet to upgrade especially since you can’t code out the auto-stop.

scott99c2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=291101

-Uwe-

It still has a button, I don’t think it changed since the 2019 refresh. I do still have the Hex-Can cable, and the vast majority of what I use it for is my 2013 S7. I haven’t decided if I want to bite the bullet to upgrade especially since you can’t code out the auto-stop.

BOASTY

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=427374
You have a physical auto start/stop button on a 2021 MY? I have a 2020 SQ7 and it is a soft key on the HVAC screen. From what I read/understand this cannot be done directly through coding. You can only indirectly stop it from engaging by tweaks to the HVAC for instance.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
You can only indirectly stop it from engaging by tweaks to the HVAC for instance.
And those tweaks probably won't work on a 2020/2021 model because VAG have disabled most (all?) of them because of concerns over emissions.

• Agree
Reactions: Uwe

BOASTY

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=427374
Now after some digging around I found in 01-engine IDE04158 - activation of start/stop function and it is active. I'll test and see if it actually deactivates it.

fantomasz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=2858
Did you try? I have same problem with A3. Yesterday I bought new cable HEX-V2 and I am not able to turn off start stop system.
I try voltage method but not work.

Back