Upgrade to Windows 10

Robdunfey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=420073
Hi, I purchased VCDS 3 car licence recently for my VW EOS. I installed on my Windows 7 laptop and it work great. I now need to upgrade the laptop to Windows 10, then I will reinstall VCDS. Do I need to do anything before upgrading? Like unregistered the machine? Or is it all managed via the bit that plugs into the car? Kind Regards, Rob

Derek

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56983
Hi Rob

If you're doing an upgrade straight from Windows 7 to Windows 10 rather than removing 7 and starting from scratch, VCDS will most likely still work after the upgrade without any thing else doing.
But if you do need to reinstall VCDS, the license is stored in the interface you plug into the car so you should only need to connect the interface to the computer and a car, then click "Options", "Test" and "Save" and it will be back up and running.

Best regards
Derek

Mari

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=150535
Be smart, don't upgrade Win7 to Win10... :D

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Be smart, don't upgrade Win7 to Win10... :D
I use VCDS running under Windows 10 Pro without any problems on a small tablet and also on my MacBook Air under Parallels - works fine with both a HEX-USB+CAN and a HEX-NET.

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth is best but not easy to get. Upgrading Win 7 to Win10 has been a problem for many unless the Win7 is uninstalled first. In my case I tried to upgrade and needed a new not quite legal installation by a pro. OTH Win10 works without problems on a new laptop and on a dessk PC.

• Agree
Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth is best but not easy to get. Upgrading Win 7 to Win10 has been a problem for many unless the Win7 is uninstalled first. In my case I tried to upgrade and needed a new not quite legal installation by a pro. OTH Win10 works without problems on a new laptop and on a dessk PC.
It's been like that more-or-less forever. When a completely new version of Windows comes out, a fresh, clean installation is likely to produce better results than an "upgrade" of the previous version.

-Uwe-

Mari

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=150535
I use VCDS running under Windows 10 Pro without any problems on a small tablet and also on my MacBook Air under Parallels - works fine with both a HEX-USB+CAN and a HEX-NET.
I was not talking about running of VCDS under Windows 10 but more about the hardware not be able to keep up with the software... Windows 10 is a heavier load on the hardware then Windows 7...

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I was not talking about running of VCDS under Windows 10 but more about the hardware not be able to keep up with the software... Windows 10 is a heavier load on the hardware then Windows 7...
Over the years I've done an in-place upgrade of my wife's PC from XP, to Vista, to W7 and earlier this year to W10 Pro - each time it's gone smoothly and without any problems - have I been lucky? Possibly, but it shows that like any generalisation there are exceptions :cool:

BTW her PC isn't some high spec monster, it has only 4GB of RAM (the BIOS won't support any more, I've tried) and only a Core 2 Duo processor with a maximum clock rate of 2.6GHz. Yes it's slower than my much higher spec PC (32GB of RAM and quad core processor running at 4.4GHz) but it does everything she needs.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I've done an in-place upgrade of my wife's PC from XP, to Vista, to W7 and earlier this year to W10 Pro
Vista? I ran that for a while because it came on a new PC. I ended up reverting that PC to XP.

But at least you skipped Windows 8. :thumbs:

-Uwe-

Mari

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=150535
I'm a little impatience, so I don't like software slowing down the hardware... so my specs are overkill for the software... believe I still have one or two laptops running Win98...

Reactions: JMR

Fred's Imports

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=16454
10 is a free downgrade lol.

I've done around 10 laptops to Windows 10 with no problems except finding a display driver for an old Toshiba that worked out in the end. Most of the time they are faster.

Try swapping in a solid state hard drive for fast results.

• Agree
Reactions: JMR

SwissJetPilot

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=317276
So here is a question about running a Win10 64bit setup - Are RossTech drivers 'signed'?

Reason I'm asking is I have VCDS installed on an old Win7 laptop. I have since purchased a touch-enabled tablet (thinking it would make a more portable tool) but have discovered Win10 64bit will not allow you to load unsigned drivers unless you temporarily disable “driver signature enforcement” at boot. This needs to be done every time (tricks for permanently disabling enforcement don't work with 64bit software)

This in itself wouldn't be so bad except you need a physical keyboard to disable enforcement (touch features are not enabled at boot) This defeats the point of a tablet if I need to configure it like a laptop.

Not sure I'll bother loading VCDS onto the tablet if this is going to be a problem but thought I'd ask first.

Back