06 Touareg Downgrading from HID to Halogen

jhall

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=421787
I mistakenly bought the wrong headlights. Was certain I did not have HID because they were not blue.

The turn signals and flasher beams work. The main light does not. If I disable the Xenon related codes in VCDS it only changes the number of faults temporarily, but I never get the main headlights or DRL.

Any recommendations here? I would like to modify the wiring if possible and then code it to behave like a normal halogen.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi and welcome.

I think you're going to need wring diagrams to compare HID and Halogen setups.

Once you disconnect the 55-Headlight range module from the vehicle, you'll need to do a "reset" in the 19-CAN gateway to get it to re-learn what's installed and what isn't. You should post an Auto-Scan before attempting this.

-Uwe-

jhall

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=421787
TY !

I did the 19-CAN reset to 000006. Looking at drawings now, found them on this post.

I have read that the upgrade path is adding 2 wires, so hopefully the downgrade path doesn't require wiring changes. I am looking at the fuse locations after I finish tracing the wiring diffs.

jhall

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=421787
Status update - from the above drawings I have confirmed that I have Fuse Panel B Fuse 54 at 10 Amps. The Xenon configuration additionally has fuse 47 in fuse holder C.

For the connector to the headlight assembly:

On the Xenon, the power from fuse 54 goes into "T14i pin 4" - on the Halogen the connector is labeled T10at and fuse 54 feeds pin 1.

There are two additional wires which appear on the Halogen pinout - B480, B471 - but are not referenced in the HID pinout. I will inspect the harnesses I have to see if the wires are there.

The headlights mated because my turn signals and flashers work; so the connector housing must be the same but the pinouts are different.

I will need to remove the headlights and look at the connectors next. It might be possible to re-pin the connectors I have, so that's the next plan. I can move the fuse 54 wire to pin 1 and power up the range control motors.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001