Status
Not open for further replies.

El Polaco

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=148074
Is anyone here familiar with the MK6 steering lock assembly? I have a 2012 TDI in the shop that the key has been hanging up in the ignition for quite some time. The customer has had continuing instances were the car would not turn off or the key would not come out of the ignition. I have been unable to get the customer to drop it off until today. I removed the tumbler with a key and paper clip from the steering lock assembly. The tumbler seemed to be OK and turned smoothly outside of the steering lock so I replaced the steering lock assembly. Once I put the tumbler back into the steering lock it refused to turn. Unfortunately, I had already pulled out the paper clip so the ignition barrel would no longer turn and was jammed. I attempted to drill a small hole in the side of the steering lock to depress the latch mechanism like the old 80-90's cars but I wouldn't work. I ended up having to destroy the new steering lock to remove the tumbler.

My all data says not to engage the steering lock with the tumbler removed or it will lock and need to be replaced. Is this true? It seems like it might be. I can't depress the bolt that locks the steering column on the steering lock no mater how I turn it. It needs to be flush/sheer so that the steering lock can bolt up to the column. I have ordered a new tumbler and steering lock from the dealer but the lock can take up to 14 business days and the car is now unable to be started. I will be replacing both parts but is there any way to depress the column lock so I can reassemble this thing so the customer can use the car until the parts arrive?

Part in question looks identical to the part seen here. The dead bolt that won't go down is where the arrow says "steering column lock"
ignition-cylinder.jpg

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi Josh,

I really can't help here. I replaced numerous Mk5 locks (salvaged the tumbler in most cases).. and that one may be identical but I never had that issue. Hopefully one of the guys has something to add.

Those can be really stubborn. I'm having flashbacks of my first Mk3 GTI Vr6. Stalling it in an intersection at age of 17 = embarrassing when the damn key had to be pulled out before you could re-crank it. Did you try jacking up the car to get the weight off the wheels and steering rack and then bang it left/right?

El Polaco

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=148074
That won't help, the steering lock is out of the car already. The owner has been dealing with this for at least a month that I know about. I looked at the car briefly about a month ago and ordered the steering lock thinking that's where the hang up was. The car was very difficult to turn off when I first saw it. The key basically refused to turn counter clock wise. It could be coaxed by turning the key to the start position and letting it snap back. What I am not sure about is why I can't seem to lower the locking bolt with the lock in front of me. It's this way on the new and old steering lock.

El Polaco

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=148074
Update, I figured it out. It appears that there is a security measure built into the steering lock that locks the steering if the lock barrel is removed and the steering lock turned. It can be reset by disassembling the steering lock. I assume they did this to prevent a thief from removing the tumbler and turning the ignition switch with a screw driver. Perhaps they figured the immobilizer wasn't enough to keep the thieves away. I engaged the lock because I turned the steering lock with a screw driver while it was out of the vehicle. I was feeling for binding or roughness in the mechanism or anything that would cause the problems the car was having.

If you look at the picture above you will see what looks like an 8 mm round plug directly below the steering bolt mechanism. It's actually just a shallow cap that has a small spring behind it with an engagement/cam mechanism. The cap is only peened in place. There is a long 1/8" pin in the housing that pushes forward and locks the cam if its tampered with; thus, keeping the steering column permanently locked. Since, I destroyed the end of the new steering column lock but my old one looked good and the lock tumbler felt good I disassembled both and transferred the parts. The only thing that can be difficult to remove is the steel cap. I used an old lock pin from a belt tensioner and tig welded it to the cap. This allowed me to grip the metal pin with vise grips and pull the cap out. I then reassembled the new guts into the old housing. Everything got lubed up really well. I opted to leave this brilliant security feature out the rebuilt steering lock. Good riddance! Key works smoothly, you cannot engage starter with car running, and steering column locks as it should. Job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back