Coding when fitting a new second hand window motor

den9112

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=362794
Hi, i have a 2011 A3 8p cab and my drivers window motor is getting a bit laboured and noisy .I am going to replace the motor and wanted to know do i have to change any coding ,i have done a scan and took note of the current code that is in Address 42 and is 7 digits long .Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Before you replace it: Have you lubricated everything?

If you replace it with the correct part and have a scan from the original, it should be very straightforward.

-Uwe-

den9112

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=362794
Hi, yes i have taken the whole motor off the car and put some grease on the splines and replaced and it still sounds laboured and noisy.
https://flic.kr/p/2jWESHG

Last edited:

UK-IanC

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
uC-2H
One of the windows on our Touran was very laboured, to the point it wouldn't close sometimes presumably because the load on the motor made it think something was trapped. Eventually there was a bang (mechanical, not electrical) as I was putting the window up to join a motorway and the glass dropped to the bottom of the door :(.

When I dismantled it to find the cause the cable had what looked (from the tarnish) like a long-term fray which had been preventing smooth feed of the mechanism. So have a good look at that cable and the wheels it runs around as well to make sure they are in good, free-running condition.

Possibly a well know weakness as there was a refurb kit available from VAG that I used to fix it. They exist for a few models, but not all. There is a greater range available on the after market.

Reactions: Uwe

den9112

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=362794
Thanks for the reply ,I have a update as I recieved a used window motor from a 8P 2009 ,the module is not for my car but the motor is the same ,anyway I swapped the complete unit and tested all windows which all worked,the drivers side with noise disappeared comfirming that it was the motor and not regulator that was the problem,however that motor would not take the roof down it did try but anyway at least I now know it's the motor ....I have 2 choices here 1 take motor out of donor and put in to original or 2 take actual module out of original and put in donor ..I would prefer swapping modules as the motor can be a bit tricky lining it up ...hopefully one method will work thus saving me nearly £300

Reactions: Uwe

den9112

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=362794
Update , i have swapped module from donor to origanal , pretty straight forward ..I then fit the unit and first i did a autoscan then checked that the module had the origanal code..i then tested passenger, two rears and finaly the drivers door all worked apart from the drivers door going up when i press down and down when i press up, Ok so i have power to all 4 windows next was the roof and that worked apart from drivers window going in the opposite direction ..Such as shame as it looked like a direct module swap would do the trick ..Next step is to swap motors as the housing on the donor is smaller than the origanal but as long as the worm fitting is the exact same length it should work ..Any help on the window if its a easy fix would be good if not at least i am getting somewere ..

UK-IanC

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
uC-2H
I haven't looked myself, but did you see if the coding has a left / right setting that might make it go the intended direction?

den9112

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=362794
Hi, no just a straight forward code

den9112

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=362794
Could the metal housing that goes over the actual motor have an impact here ,as I believe turning it 180 degrees affects the magnet by swapping positive to negative now that I could have done by taking it out and practicing putting it back in,it would make sense as all other windows work as they should ....In fact I know I have turned the metal casing just didn't realise what happens when you do ..let's hope that's the issue

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Could the metal housing that goes over the actual motor have an impact here ,as I believe turning it 180 degrees affects the magnet by swapping positive to negative
Correct

den9112

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=362794
Hi ,just thought it would be polite to post a update , today i recieved a used window motor(with module) the exact same part number as mine ..
I replaced exsisting damaged motor with the donor motor plugged in checked coding to make sure original code was showing and it was .I then tested the donor motor all windows worked along with roof ,the only issue i have (had) was drivers window would not work with one touch either up or down ,neither did it go down when it hit the all windows down button and the roof ..I tried the reset but nothing ,only way it works is when i put my module in the motor and then one touch reset worked ..I presume it must be a code somewere ,would be nice to know if it could be sorted ..